Metallic sound

Darren08

Hello! New to these forums, had my MS3 for about a month and a half now. Anyhow, about a week ago I noticed a weird metallic sound coming from the passenger side of the engine when I get to 3k rpm's and above. It almost sounds like a chain being drug across the ground. It doesn't happen below 3k rpm's. I took my car in to the dealer to have them check the vvt and timing chain, they said that both were fine. Im guessing perhaps one of the pulley's or pulley assembly?? I went out and bought a idler pulley and tensioner pulley and Im going to change them tomorrow. Anyone else with similiar issues?

my chain became really loose this past week. i read that if you turn on your defroster or AC and the noise gets louder than its your tensioner pulley.

Ill check that....Im going to the gym, then going to change out both pullies when I get back....will report my findings.

I changed out the tensioner pulley. Quieted the sound down a little bit, but nothing crazy. I wasn't able to get my hands up and remove and change the idler pulley though. I literally could not find a way to get my hands up there and get a wrench on the bolt to get it off....lol! Anyone have a solution?? Need to get that one done too.

I think the next course of action if the idler pulley isnt the culprit is the actual tensioner assembly?? As stated above, the dealership already looked at the vvt and timing chain and said it was fine. I pulled my valve cover and look on the inside and found no marks of the timing chain hitting the cover.

Back