Mazdaspeed 3 rearstrut compatability

kaos42

:
2010 Mazda 5 GS
I got a compele set of 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 struts coils and rear swaybar.

The front went on OK, but the rear struts on the M5 are larger than the MZ3 because of the spacer being larger. I put nuts on either side .... is there a better solution ?

Also, where is a good place to order the rear swaybar links from online for a better price? My local store wants 55$ per link before taxes ( both will be almost what I paid for the MZ3 suspention )

Can anyone recommend if the front swaybar is worth upgrading?

The ride is way more surefooted now around corners, but I get this impression that the rear is now more dropped than the' front but I do not remember how it looked like with the stock setup.

The MZ5 has a more weight over the rear than the MS3, so it's not surprising that the car is sitting lower in the rear.

Onlinemazdaparts has MS3 rear end links for $30 each. You may find that you need adjustable links to cope with the lower ride height, in which case Edge Auto has pairs of adjustable Whitelines for $135.

I got a compele set of 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 struts coils and rear swaybar.

The front went on OK, but the rear struts on the M5 are larger than the MZ3 because of the spacer being larger. I put nuts on either side .... is there a better solution ?

Also, where is a good place to order the rear swaybar links from online for a better price? My local store wants 55$ per link before taxes ( both will be almost what I paid for the MZ3 suspention )

Can anyone recommend if the front swaybar is worth upgrading?

The ride is way more surefooted now around corners, but I get this impression that the rear is now more dropped than the' front but I do not remember how it looked like with the stock setup.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you didn't make any improvements by adding the MS3 suspension to your MZ5. In fact you may have worsen it. The front end may have the least impact because the struts are probably a tiny bit improvement but not by much. The front MS3 springs although I tiny bit lower stance is still a rather soft OEM spring. Where you'll be hurting is at the rear. The rear shocks and springs on the MS3 are not as strong as the OEM MZ5 ones and you will and probably did end up with a saggy rear end. The rear MS3 sway bar is a definite improvement over the stock MZ5 one (26mm vs. 20mm) but definitely leave the front sway bar alone. My suggestion is to ditch the MS3 suspension and buy a set of lowering springs. Either Megan Racing or H&Rs the latter being my first choice would be my suggestion. I don't know what your intentions are or what your your trying to accomplish but even a set of lowering springs on your OEM struts or shocks would be a better choice then what you did.

the reason why i got the MS3 suspension is because it felt really unsafe at higher speeds on turns ... the rear felt like it was not holding on to the road ... now i do not have that problem, the car feels really planted and takes turns with a lot more confidence and no leaning and the rebound is better. I am happy and so are the other 2 drives of the car.

Why do you say that the rear are not as strong ? How can you tell that they are not as strong ? They are just as bouncy as the M5 were before ... there is not difference in passenger comfort.

the reason why i got the MS3 suspension is because it felt really unsafe at higher speeds on turns ... the rear felt like it was not holding on to the road ... now i do not have that problem, the car feels really planted and takes turns with a lot more confidence and no leaning and the rebound is better. I am happy and so are the other 2 drives of the car.

Why do you say that the rear are not as strong ? How can you tell that they are not as strong ? They are just as bouncy as the M5 were before ... there is not difference in passenger comfort.

Because the 5 rear struts were designed to support the extra 400lbs of weight the 3 does not have, so they are stronger.

If this was the primary reason for the MS3 suspension upgrade, you would likely be just as happy by simply doing the MS3 RSB alone. Better tires and alignment (to your driving specs) would go much farther. As said above, you need MS3 end links. You don't need adjustable end links in the rear b/c it is mounted towards the inside of the rear lower arm, which changes very little, if at all, from ride height; unlike the front which is mounted to the shock body. The rebound is better possible b/c the old struts were shot.

Did you swap in the MS3 FSB too? I’m very curious how alters impacts ride and handling characters on the Mz5. Folks tend to jump the gun and say bigger FSB is bad in a FWD car but there is always another side to the story that I’d like to hear. There’s also the argument that no bar (front and rear) at is best.

Would mods please move this to suspension??

Last edited:
i did not swap the FSB … but i was asking ppl here if it worth the upgrade. because it seems pretty beefy ( the factory one ) and i like it the way it handles now.

can someone help me decide if i need to get the SPC adjustable upper arms (-200$) or instead of that just get the Focus Adjustable Cam Kit Bolts (-50$)

Back