Mazda sport20 fs-ze ecu problems

Well that clearly settles that debate. I wish I could have gotten that header when I had my protege

Is your car an automatic or manual?

This one came with an AWD 5 spd manual gearbox (G25MX-R). Which is a very strong box. Though most of the Sport20's I've seen down here have the tiptronic transmissions. Since I damaged a gear in this AWD box, I switched to a 2WD box which as longer ratios than the 4WD.

As for the header, I dont even know how good this stock 4-2-1 is.

Yup, most definitely an FS-ZE engine.

All Sport20s had automatic transmissions - hence why there are four plug slots on the ecu. JDM manual ecus have three plugs and autos have four - extra one is for the auto trans.

I agree with you on the ecu. The extra plug is for auto's, so the ecu can be used both for manual and auto tranny's. I actually have two of these ecu's. Down fall is; it is next to impossible to find wiring diagrams for this ecu. Without a wiring diagram, you have to pysically trace the wires, which can be time consuming.

This one came with an AWD 5 spd manual gearbox (G25MX-R). Which is a very strong box. Though most of the Sport20's I've seen down here have the tiptronic transmissions. Since I damaged a gear in this AWD box, I switched to a 2WD box which as longer ratios than the 4WD.

As for the header, I dont even know how good this stock 4-2-1 is.

You broke a g25mxr? It must have seen a s*** ton of abuse

ECU part numbers are correct for YOUR year of car, the 99-00 Sport20.... 01-03 Sport20s use different/improved ECUs
there are several possibilities that are wrong here:
-wrong engine... FS-DE from the 99-00 MPV which looks like an FS-ZE due to the deceiving intake manfiold with plastic resonator... it had 9.1:1 compression and bad cams
-wrong fuel pressure regulator... the early FS-ZE from the capella had a different fuel rail and pressure regulator
-bad coil packs... they look old, so bad coil packs still "work" but output weak spark and you get power loss... don't ask me how I know
-original bad plug wires
-worn spark plugs
-bad knock sensor.. typical mazda thing, they get cooked and the goop that seals the sensor melts and leaks out and if left dry, they will go bad unless the damage was noticed in time and resealed with silicone sealant
-bad O2 sensor
-bad fuel or low octane fuel... these engines require 93 US pump octane or 98 RON minimum
-clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump... the 4WD has an external fuel filter mounted on the firewall
-any other ECU error codes... this is a semi-OBD2 ECU with barely any diagnosis functions, there is no "CEL" light and you will only find out if there are problems by connecting a scan tool to the diagnosis port under the hood

Last edited:
You broke a g25mxr? It must have seen a s*** ton of abuse

Oh I totally destroyed the third gear while tearing down a mountain pass road. Came up on a truck aound a corner so down shifted to 2nd to pass and while changing to 3rd my foot slipped off the clutch and that's when kapow! 3rd gear gone.

ECU part numbers are correct for YOUR year of car, the 99-00 Sport20.... 01-03 Sport20s use different/improved ECUs
there are several possibilities that are wrong here:
-wrong engine... FS-DE from the 99-00 MPV which looks like an FS-ZE due to the deceiving intake manfiold with plastic resonator... it had 9.1:1 compression and bad cams
-wrong fuel pressure regulator... the early FS-ZE from the capella had a different fuel rail and pressure regulator
-bad coil packs... they look old, so bad coil packs still "work" but output weak spark and you get power loss... don't ask me how I know
-original bad plug wires
-worn spark plugs
-bad knock sensor.. typical mazda thing, they get cooked and the goop that seals the sensor melts and leaks out and if left dry, they will go bad unless the damage was noticed in time and resealed with silicone sealant
-bad O2 sensor
-bad fuel or low octane fuel... these engines require 93 US pump octane or 98 RON minimum
-clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump... the 4WD has an external fuel filter mounted on the firewall
-any other ECU error codes... this is a semi-OBD2 ECU with barely any diagnosis functions, there is no "CEL" light and you will only find out if there are problems by connecting a scan tool to the diagnosis port under the hood

Hey thanks a lot man. I have already ruled out wrong engine here, all fsze internals. The fuel rail and injectors were checked fsze also. And I infact have a fuel rail and a set of injectors from the capella (did some experiments and tried the capella injectors and rail on the car and it leaned out like crazy, car could barely throttle).
As for the coil packs and plug wires, they are fairly new, just a little soiled. I put new spark plugs in there and the only thing I noticed was a vast improvement in gas mileage. Theres a new fuel filter in there as well as a brand new o2 sensor that I changed last year.
I find annoying that I dont have a CEL installed.
Its interesting that you mentioned the knock sensor, I will have to check that out. And the fuel octane rating needed. I did read somewhere that these JDM engines require 98 RON. Aaaah... we use gasolene of 90 octane pump. Its ironic that I work for the refinery that makes this crappy gas.
Besides the crap gas, I will do a scan on the ecu for error codes.
Thanks man.

Hey chrisrob, i am from Barbados also with a 2001 sport20 wagon, Fwd sporttronic. i have a copy of the P5 wire manual if that may help you, they are very close!

20140123_174514_zpsbf0573ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any chance of getting a picture of both sides of the plugs in the fitted ECU for wiring colours?

Last edited:
If your saying you get only 90 octane where your from id say that's the issue. With the usd
MP3 ecu's if you don't run 91 or 94 octane the ecu retards timing which drops power. I bet your ecu stems from low quality gas. The ze ecu you have is probably pulling back timing.

Did you take pictures of the dyno run results? If so look at the power curve, maybe that will tell you if the ecu is pulling timing. When I put my mp3 on the dyno recently I got 110 whp and that is with all the stock emissions equipment

Lol all this wrong engine stuff. Totally checking my cams tomorrow yo see if I've hot a ze under my hood now. Just swapped in what was sold to me as a de but it has the infamous black box on the intake. I did see where the 99-01 mpv had the box on their de so that gives me hope

Back