Mazda Speed Protege missfire

Johnoolo

:
2003.5 mazda speed protg
my problem occured when i changed my old spark plugs to e3 plugs. the car idle was perfect but once i got into boost the engine started sputtering like it was misssing. i went back to my old plugs and had the same problem i bought new ngk plugs v power plugs gapped them to .30(i hope i gapped them incorectly) but heven with the new plugs the problem in boost still occured. now at idle the engine will bog doen for a second like a single studder boost guage will go up and rpms will go down for a second. is it problem i could have caused or could i coincidently blown the turbo itself up. Idont have a CEL but i scanned the car and got a pending code for missfire in cylinder 1 i swapped the plugs and the problem continues i erased the code which the code hasnt come back. please can anone shed some light?

Did you check the plug wires? Misfires like that are almost always due to plugs, wires, or coil packs, so try to swap out the coil pack and wire for the #1 cylinder and see what happens. Plugs should be gapped to .28

my problem occured when i changed my old spark plugs to e3 plugs. the car idle was perfect but once i got into boost the engine started sputtering like it was misssing. i went back to my old plugs and had the same problem i bought new ngk plugs v power plugs gapped them to .30(i hope i gapped them incorectly) but heven with the new plugs the problem in boost still occured. now at idle the engine will bog doen for a second like a single studder boost guage will go up and rpms will go down for a second. is it problem i could have caused or could i coincidently blown the turbo itself up. Idont have a CEL but i scanned the car and got a pending code for missfire in cylinder 1 i swapped the plugs and the problem continues i erased the code which the code hasnt come back. please can anone shed some light?

Gap is fine, spec is .028-.031"

And as Austin said, check your COPs, boots and ignition wires for signs of arching. If you see no signs of arching, swap ignition coils and see if the misfire follows to that cylinder.

I switched the number 1 plug with the number three plug. both plugs are running with different coil packs now obviously as you know when i switch those two. The problem is still there but im no longer getting the missfire code from cylinder 1 but im not getting 1 from cylinder three either now they were pending codes tho. any suggestions?

When my spark plugs were gapped incorrectly I had misfires under boost that would not cause a CEL. I'm not saying yours are gapped incorrectly, but it's possible that your misfire takes a while to throw a code. If it won't throw a CEL after a little driving, maybe you can buy/borrow a spare coil pack and swap out the one originally over cylinder 1. That should narrow things down. Also, if you're using autozone/oreilly/other cheap spark plug wires, they could be at fault. I've had trouble with those on multiple cars after just a few thousand miles.

When my spark plugs were gapped incorrectly I had misfires under boost that would not cause a CEL. I'm not saying yours are gapped incorrectly, but it's possible that your misfire takes a while to throw a code. If it won't throw a CEL after a little driving, maybe you can buy/borrow a spare coil pack and swap out the one originally over cylinder 1. That should narrow things down. Also, if you're using autozone/oreilly/other cheap spark plug wires, they could be at fault. I've had trouble with those on multiple cars after just a few thousand miles.

What plugs would you suggest i used the ngk denso v power im not to familliar with spark plugs and colder plugs but i read good review on them and not to use iridum that was said on the forums. i will probably have to buy a coil pack should i buy two say racing coil packs ore just keep it oem replacement(if racing coil packs dont exist my bad lol)

Preferio here once told me to get NGK 4291s. I don't know anything about the others. I did use Bosch platinums for a while and experienced occasional misfires under boost. I have autozone coil packs ($19 each, lifetime warranty) and they have held up for the past ~30,000 miles despite their reputation, but if you want to be sure about quality get OEM ones. I do keep a third coil pack in my trunk at all times

You swapped plugs? Or swapped coils? Effectively, it's the same thing. Either way, I'd go with 4291 NGKs.

i swapped the plugs im still having the same issue just without a missfire code... im gonna pick up a coil pack today and replace one and see if that solves my problem

i replaced the coil pack that is for plugs 1 and 4 my problem remains the same. the pending code for missfire in cylinder 1 hasnt returned. The problem is still if i roll into boost the car jerks and sputters hesitates but the car then losses power. i woul assume it would have to be the wires or coil packs because i didnt have this problem until i replaced the plugs and now i replaced them again with ngk v power. i guess the next thing i could test is fuel pressure. i will try switching the coil packs put the one i replaced back on and replace the other pack with the new one.

Back