Mazda Service Department Prices

Kevin_G

:
2015 Mazda3 S GT MT
Hi, I just joined the forum. Tons of great information here. So, I recently purchased a 2015, S GT (manual) and am considering whether to take it to the dealer for routine maintenance. Or was ... I got a printout of their price list for every 5k service up to 50K and it was truly unbelievable. (Mazda recommends schedule 2 here in Colorado so that's why every 5k). For the 5K service, which is really only an oil change and tire rotation, the price is $190! Every 5K interval afterword is between $200 and $280. I took my old car to the dealer, but at Kia I was able to buy a coupon book for 8 oil changes and 4 tire rotations (plus other stuff) for $140. In the first two years the only other thing was the occasional $50 for cabin air or engine air filter and the 30K service (maybe $230). Do any of you use the Mazda dealership for routine maintenance?

Thanks!

That's flipping absurd. I take my car for oil changes at the dealership but I also got 15 dollar oil changes for life with the purchase of my car. All other maintenance I'll be doing myself because it's just a rip off at the dealership.

Kevin,
Go to mymazda.com.
Register as a Mazda owner.
You can access your local Mazda dealers.
You can find coupons offered.
An oil change + tire rotation <= $140.
From my local Mazda, oil change costs $34.99. Tire rotation costs $15 or $20.
Your Mazda3 requires synthetic oil, which could be $49.99.
Worst case, $70.
BTW, full circle check is $0 from Mazda.

I just saw a 5 gallon jug of Mobile 1, 0W-20 oil for $22 at Walmart. Discount tire will rotate your tires for about $20 (sometimes, for free if you're a good customer). My K&N oil filters are about $13 each.
Most big-dollar services at the dealerships involve lots of checks, which you can do, yourself. I no longer deal with coolant or brake fluid changes, myself, as they tend to be messy + there's no place to bring the old stuff until the local high school has a waste reclamation event.
Now, if you don't want to change your own oil and filters, or any of the other common maintenance stuff, a good local shop typically charges less than the dealership.
Since most Japanese cars are very reliable, dealerships need to make money, somehow - hence, their high maintenance costs.

What most people do not know is that dealerships make more money from services than new vehicle sale.

In fact, many Chrysler dealerships that didn't sell enough vehicles (and were told by the government during bankruptcy proceedings)they needed to close down, complained that they were highly profitable (from all the repair work they did, in and out of warranty), thus should be allowed to stay open.

Thanks for the replies ... I'll take a look on the Mazda site for coupons and look into a local shop as well.

Assume you're talking about Penkhus. We have an iTouring MT hatch we bought from them. Very satisfied with $20,800 tax included OTD, but wouldn't use them or any Denver dealer for maintenance or repairs.

We've owned Mazdas for years and never use a stealership for anything but some parts and the body shop (manager's a close buddy). Their labor prices are nearly double my excellent private shop, which does all our Mazda work--very little over the years.

The Springs has a lot of independents that can provide excellent work. Your "authorized Mazda service center" is a gouge.

Last edited:
My advice:
do not buy those ??K service packages.
Or, spring cleanup, fall maintenance, etc.
Those are big ripoffs to lighten your wallets.
Itemize your maintenance according to OM. Do more as you wish (such as transmission or differential).
Collect coupons if you trust dealerships. Or, go to indie shops if you know good ones.

Thanks again for the replies! Yeah, I had such a great experience with the Kia service department I thought I'd check into Mazda ... but looks like we'll be going to an independent shop we've used for some of our other cars.

It is the dealership that is the problem, not the brand.
The dealership closer to me is bad (a Ford/Mazda combo) in services.
I visit one that is 10 miles further away.

It is important for you to keep detailed records of all service done either by yourself or independant parties. It is also wise to make copies of any sales receipts from autozone, walmart, advanced auto parts if your doing your own work since many receipts will fade over time. This will save you the headache if you have a warranty claim and bring your car into the dealership and they ask for documentation of maintenance work completed.

Back