Mazda Protege ECU location?

02PROTEGE2.0

:
1999 Audi A4 1.8t quattro manual
well i've been looking around at maybe getting an MP3 ecu for as long as im staying N/A... (whcih may be a while now).

ive found i can pick one up from a junkyard for 150... not bad at all.

but my question is, where is the ecu? ive heard its on the florr on the passenger side, under the carpet, but while looking around in my car today i found that if i remove the kick panel on either side of the center console allllll the way up at the front under the dash, right next to the floor..... there is some kind of control unit with several wires going into it from both sides... but its not hidden behind any carpet at all!

if this isnt my ecu, what is it?

Under the carpet on the passenger side, under a metal plate held on by 4 10mm nuts. Wear leather or mechanix gloves when attempting to remove the metal plate, or you will get cut!!

yes ive been eharing that... so what is it im seeing at the very front of the center console, in front of the shifter pushed back towards the fire wall?

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i stumbled across this thread looking for, what i believe is the answer to 02PROTEGE2.0's qestion and thought i would answer it, incase anybody else finds this thread.

the computer located under the dash and directly centred under the centre console is the Air Bag Control unit. you can acsess it by removing the two pannels on the passenger and drivers side.

Just a Visual for help.

PCMLOCATION.png

PCMREMOVAL.png

If you're removing the PCM, be careful with that plate, as others have mentioned. Not only can the sharp edges cut you, but they can just as easily cut the insulation on some wiring. It's best to remove the plate, and then reach underneath, and remove the two 10mm nuts holding one of the brackets on, that holds the PCM in place. Slide that bracket off, and then the PCM should slide loose from that plate. Then remove the plate and get it out of the way.

I've actually taken the plate off atleast 15 times without cutting myself, not sure how, lol.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i stumbled across this thread looking for, what i believe is the answer to 02PROTEGE2.0's qestion and thought i would answer it, incase anybody else finds this thread.

the computer located under the dash and directly centred under the centre console is the Air Bag Control unit. you can acsess it by removing the two pannels on the passenger and drivers side.

so if I were to replace this one my 2006 mazda 3 2.3l would it take away the light that stays on?

Last edited:
so if I were to replace this one my 2006 mazda 3 2.3l would it take away the light that stays on?
No. The light is on cause there is something wrong. Fix whats wrong and then the light will go off.

Or make sure that the light is in the middle position aka the "on with door open only" position.

why do ECUs drift over time, where they are unable to deal with after market intake after many years of being in the car (8 years) and all of a sudden the oem tune can't adjust?

Back