Mazda OpenCar

Damn... this is REALLY making me wish I had been able to wait to find an iT with the tech package!

Unless I missed it, it doesn't seem to be clear when this will actually be available. I would love to have something like this available to add capabilities to my own system. Sort of on the same subject, has anybody noticed that Mazda supposedly is working on a toolbox for updating maps and such but hasn't provided it yet? Or that they say the Connected Services requires paying a fee but give you no way to subscribe or pay said fee?

I really hope this comes out sooner rather then later/never... I have always said the in car screen should be sort of a dumb system where you phone/app does all the processing and hard work and it just outputs it to the screen. Would love to see google maps outputted from my phone to the large nav screen :) Or Waze and Spotify!

Better yet, who is going to be first to offer an iOS or Android apps to run your car's HVAC, Nav and other functions on your tablet? Imagine snapping an iPad Mini into your dash where the Infotainment screen used to be and having access to all your apps while the tablet car software manages environmental comforts in the background. Think how much easier updates would be if it involved downloading an iOS app instead of taking your car to a dealership or risking flash drive installations. Imagine being able to choose software from different vendors to run your car's comforts, diagnostics and tuning (Cobb AP v6?) instead of being stuck with whatever Mazda or Ford decides to put out. Imagine no more glitchy AV players that choke on your music or perpetually reindex your library. Imagine no more car software freezes going unaddressed month after month.

It won't happen any time soon, but who would have thought fifty years ago that universal OBD monitors would happen during our lifetimes, or Bluetooth synching, or any other cross-manufacturer standard? These were science fiction ideas when I was a kid.

The barrier to my dream is likely financial rather than technical. Who will make the first profit selling tablet operated cars? Will it be Mazda, or do we have to wait for Tesla or somebody else to get there first?

Lots of advanced techs in cars are available outside USA.
We are very behind here.
Look at this Taiwanese company (brand=Luxgen, available in China, Taiwan, Russia, middle east, south America, etc.)
Scroll down to the section where it shows that you can plug in any HTC phones (probably any Android too), and the MID display acts as your cell phone.
No need for BT. Night vision, eagle view (all surroundings camera), you name it. Around 30-40K USD. Engine is under powered, typical in Asia, where tax is based on engine displacement.
Before you bash on the safety, it got NCAP 4-star or more for all their vehicles.
Engines from Taiwan, transmission fro Aisin, suspension tuned by Lotus, etc.
They even have an EV+, if you are into that.

http://www.luxgen-motor.com.tw/u7_Turbo.html

Better yet, who is going to be first to offer an iOS or Android apps to run your car's HVAC, Nav and other functions on your tablet? Imagine snapping an iPad Mini into your dash where the Infotainment screen used to be and having access to all your apps while the tablet car software manages environmental comforts in the background. Think how much easier updates would be if it involved downloading an iOS app instead of taking your car to a dealership or risking flash drive installations. Imagine being able to choose software from different vendors to run your car's comforts, diagnostics and tuning (Cobb AP v6?) instead of being stuck with whatever Mazda or Ford decides to put out. Imagine no more glitchy AV players that choke on your music or perpetually reindex your library. Imagine no more car software freezes going unaddressed month after month.

It won't happen any time soon, but who would have thought fifty years ago that universal OBD monitors would happen during our lifetimes, or Bluetooth synching, or any other cross-manufacturer standard? These were science fiction ideas when I was a kid.

The barrier to my dream is likely financial rather than technical. Who will make the first profit selling tablet operated cars? Will it be Mazda, or do we have to wait for Tesla or somebody else to get there first?

Go even further in your thinking. Imagine plugging a tablet into your dashboard and being able to decide where you want the HVAC controls, where you put the radio controls, what kind of controls they utilize (rotary knob, push buttons, rockers, etc.)

Now imagine your car and tablet "know" each other, and "know" each user as they approach the car. The seats, mirrors, wheel and pedals all set themselves to your preferences, the controls lay out the way you like them, the temp sets to your settings, the radio presets are arranged just so...

... but even more - the fuel and shift maps adjust to your driving style, versus your wife's or your mother-in-law's style. The brake pedal firms up for you, the steering response tightens, the suspension firms up because your car "knows" you like to drive with some enthusiasm.

Every bit of this is possible right now, and more and more of it is being implemented in higher-end cars, but more of it is also working its way down to lower-end cars as well.

Some people are worried that cars will become rolling nannies-in-a-box. I worry that what's coming won't come fast enough. I'm 52 years old, and can't wait to see what's next. I already lived through the "good old days," and they weren't all that great. Muscle cars were fun... in a straight line. If you could afford to keep them gassed up. British sports cars were fun... when they ran (odd Tuesdays in months with no "R" in them).

Back