Mazda Oil Filter Review

Hello Everyone.

Check out this review.
…not too pretty!

Well, “not too pretty” in terms of the engine condition which somehow had too much blow-by carbon and grit floating around with oil. The OEM Denso oil filter did its good job caught most of them, hence it looks dirty inside.

I wouldn’t doubt the function of OEM Denso oil filter is having any problems because of this video, but worried about the engine condition of that 2.0L on the 2017 Mazda3. It shouldn’t produce so much blow-by carbon mixing with oil in 10 months / 7,000 miles.

At least the guy didn’t criticize the lack of anti-drain-back valve in OEM Denso oil filter. ;)

I agree that the filter did it's job. That engine looks like it's a victim of extended/ neglected oil changes and with what kind of oil. Wonder if the owner purchased the car used. Looks more like 177,000 miles than 77,000. Wonder what it looks like under the valve cover. The piston rings got to be carboned up and sticking which leads to oil consumption and low oil levels which lead to further degradation if not replenished. Wonder how often the oil was checked. Too many unknowns here. I doubt that the Pennzoil was to blame.
You'd think that the youtube reviewer would save the measurements for a new filter review and comment on possible causes with additional information from the car owner.

It has to be shocking ⋯ 🤪
Speaking of 'shocking' this reminds me of a late 1970's Chevy (305 I believe) station wagon that was given to a friend of mine who asked me to look at it. It was a grossly neglected beater with close to 200k miles and used as much oil as it leaked. Pulled the valve covers to find mounds ( I say mounds because of the depressions the rocker arms were operating in) of what looked like oily/tarry gravel similar in size to cat litter. Wasn't easy to scoop out and had to run a coat hanger down the oil returns in the corners of the head because of oil pooling. Wasn't even concerned about a few granules going down into the oil pan which I know would have been a sight to behold. Some of the lifters must have been collapsed after finding as much as 1/4" valve lash. Figuring nothing much to lose I adjusted the lash alot closer which gave a nice boost in low end performance when pulling out.
That car was also where I learned of GM's great innovation of injecting plastic (instead of using snap rings) to retain the end caps of the driveshaft universal joints. That job went to a garage to have the plastic melted out and U-joints replaced. Was the last time I touched that car. Ah yes, memories of the old days.
Back to the topic of this thread, I wonder what the exhaust VVT unit (oil pressure operated) and lifters are like. I don't think that people understand the importance of oil maintenance, especially in newer cars.

That engine has problems, most likely sludged up. Filter shouldn't have to stop that much crap.

That engine has problems, most likely sludged up. Filter shouldn't have to stop that much crap.
Amen to that. Wonder if the filter was so plugged it was operating in bypass mode and how long that filter was actually on the engine. Maybe through a few lengthy oil change intervals. Pure conjecture I know but it looks like some fine carbon chunks in the filter housing which I understand is formed from hardened sludge.

little offtopic, but was recently looking at 8-9 yrs luxury cars for a friend and diligently verifying service history for each.
Opposite to our obsession here with regular oil changes , my search revealed most of the cars didnt have many oil changes or had them years apart (since new) or some went to jiffy lube. The shortest period was 15,000 miles for the ones that had on record. Even during the warranty.
I am talking cars for which people dont do their own changes. Not surprisingly allmost all were initially a lease. Then 2nd and some 3rd owner. Those owning after the lease - for 2-3 yrs didnt bother to change anything then sold it again.

little offtopic, but was recently looking at 8-9 yrs luxury cars for a friend and diligently verifying service history for each.
Opposite to our obsession here with regular oil changes , my search revealed most of the cars didnt have many oil changes or had them years apart (since new) or some went to jiffy lube. The shortest period was 15,000 miles for the ones that had on record. Even during the warranty.
I am talking cars for which people dont do their own changes. Not surprisingly allmost all were initially a lease. Then 2nd and some 3rd owner. Those owning after the lease - for 2-3 yrs didnt bother to change anything then sold it again.
I wouldn't even consider it at that OCI. If anyone saw the complexities if a VVT mechanism they'd agree.

Yes, I came to same conclusion for the few ones we checked. Plus some have known issues for those years/model that present with broken engine after 100k miles if not serviced right. And engine teardown on turbo v8 is not fun from $$ perspective. Mazda engine repairs is peanuts in comparison.

I wouldn't even consider it at that OCI. If anyone saw the complexities if a VVT mechanism they'd agree.
Yet Toyota uses 1,0000-mile OCI with super-thin 0W-16 oil for many years.

for the newer direct injected and especially with Turbo, vvti and variable oil pumps - yes with both hands. If you care for the car and plan to own it past the 3-4yrs.
Old school engines (non DI and some non vvti) were more tolerant to say 10.000, that is my experience.

I watch this guy quite often, a Toyota Master tech, has a lot of good videos on Toyota. He's always stressing 5,000 mile or 6 month oil changes, nothing more, and I believe his points are valid to the teeth for any brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNCnYHhEm8

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCarCareNut/videos
My point is there’re so many Toyota’s around and most of these Toyota owners simply follow Toyota’s maintenance schedule or even longer because they have false impression that reliable car doesn’t need frequent maintenance. And we haven’t heard any oil related mass failures on Toyota’s engines due to its 10,000-mile oil change interval with the super-thin 0W-16 oil.

My point is there’re so many Toyota’s around and most of these Toyota owners simply follow Toyota’s maintenance schedule or even longer because they have false impression that reliable car doesn’t need frequent maintenance. And we haven’t heard any oil related mass failures on Toyota’s engines due to its 10,000-mile oil change interval with the super-thin 0W-16 oil.
This guy makes the point, and he shows inside engines, that if you want no problems way past the 100,000 mile mark, you'll shorten that oci on the modern engines. Not so much to do with oil related mass failures as you mention. I want to be one of those ones with a quarter million problem free miles on my car, I believe it starts with better care at the lower miles.

Getting back to the 10,000 OCI, that;s not something I would do on a modern engine, and I'd probably bump that 0w-16 oil up a few notches to a higher 0w grade. Just recently swapped the 0w-20 for 0w-30 in mine, engine sounds phenomenally quieter. Car manufacturers like to make their vehicles look as maintenance free as possible. I never went past 7500 miles except once, now I'm down to 5k miles OCI. GDI engines are a dirty running engine internally.

Back