Main Seal

:
03 Protege 5
Does anyone have a tutorial, or ever done this themselves? I think my car is leaking from the Main seal since theres oil coming down the transmission housing. I looked from the top of the engine and don't see any places where its leaking, however when i look from under there is oil on the motor mount closest to the firewall. Any link or experience would be helpful. I've tried googling and looking for about an hour but not too much info out there. Also the service manual doesn't make much sense to me since it keeps bouncing me back and fourth. Other than time would this be something i could do at home?

The main seal would leak internally inside the bell housing. If any oil were to come out, it would be straight out the bottom, Too low to soak your rear motor mount. This would have to be higher up. Check your valve cover gasket all the way around And check your oil pressure sender on the back of the block.

The main seal would leak internally inside the bell housing. If any oil were to come out, it would be straight out the bottom, Too low to soak your rear motor mount. This would have to be higher up. Check your valve cover gasket all the way around And check your oil pressure sender on the back of the block.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully i'll have some time this week to put it up on some jack stands. I checked the valve cover gasket and it all looks pretty clean however i'll check again. Im looking up on the service manual and can't find anything on the oil pressure sender. I'm thinking that will be more likely since the oil is coming from down low in the engine bay right above the auto transmission.

If you feel around the back of the block you'll feel two sensors. One is the knock sensor, the other is the oil pressure sender. Feel them to see if they are oily. If you move your cruise control actuator (it's like two nuts) you can reach, and wont have to go under the car.

That works ^ but the sensors are easier to reach from under the car if you have ready access to some ramps. I'd also throw out a leaking valve cover gasket running down or an oil filter gasket not sealing. A rear main seal would most likely seep oil down through the bottom of where the transmission case and engine meet. FYI I replaced my rear main during a clutch job with roughly 175k on the clock and it was still good. Not to say they don't go bad, just be sure to explore other, easier, options before you tear into that job.

Hey guys, I've been super busy and havent had a chance to get back to you guys. My car seems to be leaking from a few places. The first one i noticed is right where the engine and transmission meet. There looks to be a metal gasket and it starts leaking once the car is running.

The other place i noticed its leaking from is from a sensor that is on the back of the transmission or engine? If i'm underneath the car looking towards the front it will be on the left side of the car over by the transmission (not sure if its the transmission or engine). Lastly i can see motor oil coming out of the transmission by what i assume is the drive plate from looking at the service manual. There is a small gap that i can see what looks like a gear turning so i think its the drive plate. The service manual is kind of difficult to understand for myself since i have limited knowledge on cars, but does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone done a write up on something like this?

If i'm looking at the manual correct its leaking from part #5 on page 2 and then the big piece next to it that isnt marked is that metal gasket part im thinking it is.

http://errorok.com/mazdap5/Workshop_Manual/01-10b.PDF

If it's the 1.6L, It could be either a leak from the rear main seal, or the seal on the oil pan. I just replaced mine, and while the oil pan seal can be done without much hassle, the rear main seal requires the flywheel be removed.

If it's the 1.8L, then from what i can see it could only be the main seal, but i'm not familiar enough with the 1.8L to qualify that statement

Back