Lower gas tank capacity

I just got my CX-5 carbon turbo. Yesterday was my first time putting gas. The dashboard was showing 1 line before the empty. I put 8 gallons and now it shows completely full. How is this possible when the tank is supposed to hold 15 gallons.

I had similar weirdness when I first got my 6. It straightened out after the 2nd tank. I assume the float for the gas gauge got hung up or something

I just got my CX-5 carbon turbo. Yesterday was my first time putting gas. The dashboard was showing 1 line before the empty. I put 8 gallons and now it shows completely full. How is this possible when the tank is supposed to hold 15 gallons.
Well let's see now.

The tank holds 15 gals and you put in 8. Assuming that you filled it up completely.

15 - 8 = 7

So when your gas gauge showed one line before empty you had 7 gallons in the tank. That's how it's possible.

FYI. On my CX if I run the tank down to, what the car tells me is ZERO miles remaining till empty, the tank still has ~ two gallons remaining.

people often forget that a gas gauge is not linear. that is each line does not represent an equal amount in the gas tank. Sure the visual representation makes it seems like 4 lines each should represent 1/4th of the tank capacity.. but that is not how it works in reality. Additionally the slope of the ground is going to influence the gauge reading. Manufactures will always give empty warnings EARLY because.. well people need time to find fuel. For your modern vehicle use the fancy computer that says ## miles of range and correlate that to the visual gas gauge.

Last edited:
Well let's see now.

The tank holds 15 gals and you put in 8. Assuming that you filled it up completely.

15 - 8 = 7

So when your gas gauge showed one line before empty you had 7 gallons in the tank. That's how it's possible.

FYI. On my CX if I run the tank down to, what the car tells me is ZERO miles remaining till empty, the tank still has ~ two gallons remaining.
Even if I ignore the gauge showing, it was showing 60 miles left before empty, let's say 20mpg and you get 3 gallons left. Still lot less than the 7

people often forget that a gas gauge is not linear. that is each line does not represent an equal amount in the gas tank. Sure the visual representation makes it seems like 4 lines each should represent 1/4th of the tank capacity.. but that is not how it works in reality. Additionally the slope of the ground is going to influence the gauge reading. Manufactures will always give empty warnings EARLY because.. well people need time to find fuel. For your modern vehicle use the fancy computer that says ## miles of range and correlate that to the visual gas gauge.
Even if I go by that it said 60 miles left, 20 mpg so 3 gallons left, but still lot less than 7

Mazda is going to do everything in their power to prevent you from running out of fuel. Customers who run out of fuel tend to have a negative experience doing so and car manufacturers don't want that. So if that means having two gallons left in the tank when the DTE says zero then that's what you have left to get yourself and the car to a gas station.

It seems most here are ignoring the vast gap between 2 gallons when DTE = 0 and 7 gallons when DTE = 60 as explained by the OP.

Regardless of how non-linear the gauge may be, this appears to be outside any normal variation and is not a correct reading. This seems to be more than simply a conservative gauge and DTE reading. At one tick above empty, you should definitely be adding 11+ gallons to fill up and not have just under half a tank. How was the tank filled? To the first auto pump shut-off? Is the gauge at full or well beyond the full mark?

Perhaps as dunhillmc experienced, this will resolve itself after a couple fill ups. If not, I would say it definitely warrants a dealer visit.

Even if I ignore the gauge showing, it was showing 60 miles left before empty, let's say 20mpg and you get 3 gallons left. Still lot less than the 7

Keep in mind that the car still has to "learn" your driving style before the "miles to empty" reading becomes more accurate. Even after many tanks, some drivers have reported that the fuel economy and the "miles to empty" readings are still off slightly.

I would just keep the receipts of your fill-ups, so you can track to see if there continues to be an issue. After a few tanks, if there is still some concern, take it to the dealer.

I hope the OP didn’t “top off” the tank when fueling. This is a common mistake with modern vehicles and can result in costly repairs. Just stop at the first ‘click’. Some worry that the pump will ‘click’ early, but I’ve done this on my last three vehicles and the tank was always full.

I hope the OP didn’t “top off” the tank when fueling. This is a common mistake with modern vehicles and can result in costly repairs. Just stop at the first ‘click’. Some worry that the pump will ‘click’ early, but I’ve done this on my last three vehicles and the tank was always full.
I've seen this before and countless people on here do it with 0 repercussions. I'm not invalidating your argument, but a quick search has not found a specific thread that clearly shows that topping off a tank has broken something. Anecdotally when gas it cheap or they run out of regular and I get high test for the same price, I ram my tank full full full and yet, I have not had a problem. This might be an old wives tale, regardless of what literature you produce that states otherwise.

Back