K&N drop ins

Gen1GT

This is old imformation to me, but I found my dyno charts from when I dynoed the K&N drop-in, back to back with a Fram filter, then with no filter.

Run #2 is with the K&N
Run #4 is with the Fram
Run #5 is with no filter

The reason is that all flow enough air for the engine's requirements. By the time you need a K&N drop-in over a stock filter, the airbox will be long gone.

Attachments

• mr09$001.jpg
    mr09$001.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 235
  • mr09$002.jpg
    mr09$002.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for the info, I had been considering the K&N filter for some power gains but based on this, I should just save my cash!

That does not mean that the K&N can flow less than they claim it does. It just shows that filter or no filter, the engine just can't pump any more air. Also keep in mind that more airflow = less filtration, plain and simple.

...someone will come on here and say "but look it made 0.7hp without an air filter, omgomg I am taking mine off...."

KpaBap said:
That does not mean that the K&N can flow less than they claim it does. It just shows that filter or no filter, the engine just can't pump any more air. Also keep in mind that more airflow = less filtration, plain and simple.

...someone will come on here and say "but look it made 0.7hp without an air filter, omgomg I am taking mine off...."

You laugh, but we just had this happen over on the Solara forum.

http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=15139&highlight=&sid=507370cb351b93c18e0edc07be6991ba

LOL, there's always someone.

KpaBap, you're totally right. The K&N will flow more air than a fram paper filter, but the fram flows enough for nearly any engine that is still using the airbox. If you're making enough power that your air filter is limiting you, then the last thing you want to do is keep the stock airbox. This fact makes K&N drop-ins useless......

Gen1GT said:
LOL, there's always someone.

KpaBap, you're totally right. The K&N will flow more air than a fram paper filter, but the fram flows enough for nearly any engine that is still using the airbox. If you're making enough power that your air filter is limiting you, then the last thing you want to do is keep the stock airbox. This fact makes K&N drop-ins useless......

K&N drop in filter useless? I think not. It depends on your POV. For the price of 2 quality filters I can stop buying new filters every year. That's a lot of money saved over the life of a vehicle.

Yes, that's true, they are reusable. Although it would take 3 years or more to equal the cost of buying paper filters.......

Gen1GT said:
Yes, that's true, they are reusable. Although it would take 3 years or more to equal the cost of buying paper filters.......

That's fine, we keep cars 10-15 years. The K&N only cost me $35 shipped. This LX will go to my son in a couple years and get him through college if he doesn't wreck it.

Last edited:
i didnt get the K&N drop in for performance gains, im still skeptical of any real-world gains w/ a shortram or cold air. but i did get it because its reusable and i was lucky enough that it fit my 2nd protege. i figure if i clean it every 15,000 mi. vs replace it was worth it.
-meGrimlock

At NDRA a few years ago a few of the pro guys were running no filters, but damn they pretty much rebuild them every day of use

LOL that topic was funny as hell.....Who would be dumb enough to remove their Air filter , perhaps running the risk of destroying the motor lining?

K&N

In addition to being reusable, a K&N's big advantage is that it works well, in some cases even a little better, when it's been in for a while. Paper filters, when new, will often outflow a K&N drop in, but after not too many miles the K&N flows better because it maintains its maximum air flow capability.

Latest posts

Back