JUST Bought a Millenia, Please help, big problem!!

I have just bought a millenia 95, 2.5L, and im having big trouble. When im driving down the road, occasionally the car would jerk and the gas pedal would stop working. The car will move at like 20 miles per hour and when i push the gas nothing happens. The techometer goes up and even redlines if I push down hard enough on the gas but the car doesn't go any faster. Then, almost 10-20 seconds later it comes back to normal. There have been several occasions where I have had to stop the car, turn it off, and turn it back on to fix the problem. Does anyone know what the problem can be? I have had the oil, spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter changed, nothing else. PLEASE HELP.

Sounds like transmission problems to me... Torque converter/clutch slippage, or somesuch... First off, is it manual, or automatic? I'm assuming auto, given I've never seen a Millenia with a manual... The first thing I would try if it's an automatic is to give it a full transmission flush, and see if that helps. If it has the transmission that the MPV has (Which the Subaru SVX also had, the 4EAT transmission), those are known for ring damage, and you may possibly be in for a very, very expensive rebuild... But it's hard to say without looking at the problem directly.

Back