Junkyard Score

:
Mazda Protege5
A couple of weeks ago, I got a notification from a local JY that they just placed a P5 in their yard. So, I headed out to check it out. I really only need a rear bumper cover, since the one on my daughter's car has a big gash in it. This is only the 2nd P5 that has shown up in a local yard. I get there and eventually find the car and it did have a decent rear bumper cover and it was the same color as my daughter's car. Score! Hold on. I need a T27 torx bit to get 2 screws out. Don't have one. Neither did anyone I asked. Crap. 90 min until they close. 25 mile dash home. Grab torx bit, drill, hammer, chisels... anything I might need to remove the bumper. Then, 25 miles back. 200 yd walk back to the car. Snapped the plastic clips off underneath with a chisel. Way too much rust to deal with. Removed the 2 torx screws. Needed to pull the taillights to get the last 2 clips. Started removing the 6 nuts when they announced they were closing in 30 min. Pop taillights and remove bumper cover. Toss everything in the tool box, then start the 200 yd uphill schlep to the checkout with 15 min to spare. All that for a $25 bumper cover. But, that beats $450 for a new one!

On my way out I also grabbed a pair of wiper washer nozzles off of a Tribute.

bumper.jpg

So, now I need to strip it down so I can get it painted and ready to go for when I get the car out of storage in the spring.

Nice grab! Talk about just making it. Quite a bit of trouble but in the end def. worth the savings.

Still looking for a cassette player at the JY. I saw one about a year ago, but didn't have my DIN tools to pop it out. Unfortunately, things got in the way and by the time I got back the car was gone.

Latest posts

Back