JDWK's MSP - 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is sold!

So I am finally ready to list my car. I have been unsuccessful in finding an affordable house with more garage space, and I can't have my wife continue to park in the driveway when it starts to heat up again out here.

I am still very much in love with my MSP, so I am listing it here first hoping it finds a new owner who will appreciate it.

I've spent the last month or so selling off my aftermarket parts, so it is pretty close to stock.

History: 2nd owner, I bought the car with 34k miles in August of 2006 from the original owner.
Mileage: 82,831
Condition: Good to excellent
Price: $5400

Cosmetic flaws:
  • Spiderweb cracks on rear bumper from not pulling the parking brake hard enough and rolling back into another car. It's hard to notice, so I haven't been able to justify paying someone to repaint it.
  • Rock chips, AZ highways are filled with rocks. After 83k miles, the front of the hood is looking a bit sand blasted if you get up close.
  • There is a faint crease in the passenger front fender. It is impossible to photograph, and can only be seen in the right light at the right angle. I am not really sure how it go there, but since the buyer will probably be out of state, I want to disclose everything.
  • The silver paint on the steering wheel is garbage as everyone probably knows. It looks bad from the side, but you can't see it from the driver's seat, so I've just lived with it.
  • My head unit was stolen in 2009, and the moronic thieves ripped my console underneath the ash tray. I glued it back together and the ashtray covers up the split. I'd have to remove the ash tray and point it out for anyone to notice the crack.
  • They also scratched up my radio surround, so I replaced it with a piano black version which I actually like better than the super fake carbon fiber. I also have another CF one that is in decent shape, but has some light scratches. I'll include all three.
  • The paint on the door handle surrounds is starting to fade. It's not very noticeable now, but they will eventually need paint, or perhaps wrapped or plasti-dipped would work and be much cheaper.
As you can see from the pics, I've been very meticulous about polishing and waxing the car over the years and the paint still looks pretty much new. There are a few light scratches that show up under fluorescent lighting, but I wouldn't have a problem showing this car. I have been incredibly careful about parking where no one can possibly ding me, and there isn't a single door ding on the entire car! The interior is in near perfect shape other than stuff already mentioned. The seats look new still, I applaud Mazda on the use of high grade cloth; even the bolsters show no signs of wear.
I've also kept the engine bay fairly spotless.

Modifications:
  • Injen CAI (stock airbox included) - This came on the car so I didn't feel right selling it, it also is an honest power adder. The car should have come this way stock.
  • SLS Hot Pipe (stock pipe included) - I had it powdercoated red.
  • Relocated boost source. The surging felt during abrupt throttle lifts is fixed by putting the boost source to the BPV on a nipple right off the turbo. This was such a great mod that I would never put it back, and therefore I didn't sell the SLS. Here's the thread I started about it:http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123798636-Fun-damental-flaw-in-this-half-ass-d-design/page3
  • Tokico HPK - this is essentially the same strut/spring combination that came stock, but is about an inch and a half lower. I've swapped out my front endlinks with longer ones from a Mazda 3 to compensate so there are no bushing problems or clunking.
  • Pedder's control arm bushings - these obviously weren't coming out so they are staying in.
  • Urethane rear sway bar bushings - got sick of replacing the rubber ones every couple years. These last forever and no clunk.
  • 5mm Wheel spacers - they give the car a more aggressive stance and keep the tires from rubbing the inside of the fender.
  • Kenwood KDC-BT955HD - the stock unit died on me, my KDC-X891 was stolen, and the KDC-X693 I replaced it with died on me a couple weeks ago, so this is the latest and greatest. It has full Pandora and phone control. It tells my phone to start playing Pandora when I get in, so I don't ever have to take my phone from my pocket.
  • Aluminum power steering pulley - these are pain to remove and install, so it stays with the car. Negligible performance gain but looks nice.
  • Mazdaspeed Oil Cap - stupid expensive but it is beautiful. I would have sold it but I can't find my stock one.
  • Redline Goods shift boot - much nicer than the fake leather of the stock one, and has stitching to match the stock seats.
  • Redline Goods armrest cover - matches the seats perfectly, and really does give the interior a tiny bit more upscale feel to it.
  • ATP Waste Gate Actuator - the stock WGA died on me as soon as I bought the car. It was still under warranty, so Mazda replaced it, but then it died again two years later. So I went with the ATP and it's been fine for over 30k miles now.
  • Corksport SS Braided clutch Line - gives the clutch a firmer more precise feel
  • Goodrich SS Braided Brake Lines - first mod I do to every car, brakes feel soo much better.
  • Silicon Vacuum Hoses - replaced all the brittle rubber under the hood with red silicon.
  • Optima Red Top - I bought my first Red Top in 2003, and moved it to the MSP in 2006, where it lasted over 9 years total. I replaced it in August of 2012, so it should have a lot years left.
  • NGK Groundwire Kit - I noticed my headlights would dim when the cooling fans kicked on, these solved that problem and idle has been smoother as well, so it stays with the car
  • WR Coolant Resevoir - stock one cracked, AWR looks nice.
  • Urethane Motor Mount Spacers - Front and both sides. I removed them from the rear because I like my cars to be smooth, but will include them with the car.
  • Cross drilled and slotted front rotors - previously owner installed them, but still a good amount of metal left.
  • Valve Cover powdercoated textured black - blends in perfectly with the stock engine cover, looks like one big piece.
  • AAC Bumper Sag Fix Brackets -pretty self explanatory
  • JDM Style Headlights - see pics, replaced last year so still crystal clear, makes the car look brand new.
  • FIAM Low Frequency Horn - I was embarrassed to ever use the stock horn. I installed this in parallel and it sounds perfect now.
  • ARP Exhaust Manifold bolts - the most expensive bolts in the world. I'd love to see the profit margin they make on these.
  • Polished Manifold Cover - I spent a few hours one afternoon polishing mine and cut out the bottom of the O2 sensor hole, making it infinitely easier to remove and install.
The stuff I have replaced over the years would create a ridiculously long post, but here are a few key points:
  • Timing belt and water pump replaced one year ago.
  • Suspension replaced at 74k miles.
  • Radiator just swapped out for brand new stock unit, coolant flushed and filled.
  • Brake Pads and rear rotors have less than 3k miles on them.
  • Motor mounts have all been replaced recently, rear one just replaced this past summer.
  • Valve cover gasket just replaced.
  • I bought windshield wipers for the first time in ten years yesterday. It doesn't rain here so I've never needed them. I was surprised at how expensive they are.
  • Front hubs and wheel bearings recently replaced.
  • Oil change with Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage and Fram Tough Guard oil filter yesterday.
  • K&N Cone Air Filter just cleaned and oiled
The car has never seen more boost than stock besides the marginal amount the ATP WGA increases it by. It runs as smooth as it did the day I bought it.
The exhaust is all 100% stock. The manifold appears to have developed a microscopic warp, and there is an audible tick under throttle when cold, but disappears within a mile of driving. It is not very noticeable and has not gotten worse in the two years since I first noticed it, so I haven't tried resurfacing the manifold or installing a new gasket.

I keep all my receipts and paperwork, so that will all come with the car. I even have every receipt from every tank of gas I ever put in and a excel sheet that tracks my gas mileage.

I just rotated the tires, and there are only about 5k miles left on them. They are Bridgestone RE760 purchased in September of 2010 at 68k miles.
I'd put new ones on, but I figure it's better to let the new owner choose what to go with, since they may autocross or road race, or want something economical if they commute.

I am little over KBB, but if you are from a cold state or even a coastal state, the thing to realize is there is no rust in Arizona. Every bolt comes undone without a struggle, and the underside of the car looks new. I am from Ohio which is infamous for its copious use of salt, and the difference is simply amazing. The downside is rubber and plastic deteriorate quickly, but I've been meticulous about replacing things. I don't even want to add up all the stuff I've bought from Montgomery Mazda.

Here's a link to an imgur gallery, please let me know if it doesn't load, or you want pics of something specific, or higher res or whatever.
http://imgur.com/a/HPbj6#0

gZ18zlK.jpg

0eq4Qiy.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful MSP at an excellent price. GLWS, wish I could be a caretaker for some of these amazingly cheap MSPs for sale these days

Unfortunately, I'm not in the market for this car, but I did want to say that this looks absolutely immaculate for having 82k miles. If you had it up for sale a couple years ago, I would have happily bought it off you :D

Thanks for the compliments. I know I may have missed the peak market by waiting so long, but hopefully the right buyer is still out there.

Wish i couldve got this car awhile back, wheni bought a broken down msp. Well GLWS. if this still for sale after my lease is up ill gladly pick it up lol.

Yeah I know a few of the new guys on here have picked up MSP's for dirt cheap, between 2 and 3 grand, but then they promptly have to spend another two grand to make them roadworthy, and they still aren't in anywhere near this condition.

the one i got from a user on here (i still regret to this day but what is done is done) for 5k. Claim it was exhaust leak, fixed it, turbo was bad. (found out the PO actually broke two studs in the head of the motor for the exhaust manifold also, something he didnt mention to me) Bought another turbo from a user on here claimed to be working and in good condition, installed it and the turbo was bad. Manifold that came with that turbo was cracked and he claimed there was no cracks or anything on it. Other than that i got rid of it asap and got into a lease and am now riding a brand new car with no problems for 3 years which is end of lease lol. Awesome Awesome car you have JDWK. I really wish i wouldve held off just a little longer and then i wouldve seen this. Difinitely wouldve gotten it. this is a awesome deal!

I am an enthusiast who has been searching for a while for the RIGHT Mazdaspeed Protege. I believe this is it. I will PM you possible details and arrangements if the wife gives me the "Okay." Seeing as how I live in upstate California I will likely have to fly in, but I will address this in PM. Seriously, I have been searching for two years now and held off on some great deals because they were out of state. Can't be doing that anymore...

Car is sold. Sorry I didn't update until today but wanted to wait until I had a flight confirmation from the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back