J&S for Retarding Timing

LinuxRacr said:
Perf,

I have had the TPS signal wire hooked up before. It did not throw a code. I just mad my throttle position read 100%, and my A/F gauge go rich. This was varified by my PDA Dyno.
what gear and rpm were you in?

LinuxRacr: Oops! Hit edit again instead of quote...

Last edited by a moderator:
YP5 Toronto said:
I thought the unit had dials and toggle switches to adjust some of the parameters?
it does. but just for SOME control.
the units come preprogrammed according to john. im sure he can do something. i have alot of faith in this unit

The TPS modifier in the unit can pull the signal up to 4.3v at a predetermined point, signaling to the ECU that you just went WOT, even though you haven't. This should force the ECU to switch to open loop operation, which typically has a richer fuel map, with slightly retarded timing.
Ok, here's another thought that no one has thought of yet. If this is true about the J&S being able to basically put our ECU in open loop about 95% of the time, in theory, the Apexi S-AFC should now work for modifying our fuel maps. Am I right on this, I think I am? The only reason it didn't work before is because our ECU likes to stay in closed loop.

If this is so, then this is an alternative to a more expensive fuel controler like the split-second, Link, or the E-manage. This is what S2000 owners do. With the comptech supercharger, they use larger injectors coupled with a 12:1 vortech FMU. This makes the car run pig rich and the fuel ratios are dependent on the FMU. Well, then an Apexi S-AFC is used to pull fuel out at predetermined RPM's. This lets you precisely control your A/F ratios all over the RPM band.

Someone chime in if my logic is off.

The unit has knobs and switches to control the different retard modes.

The pre-programmed part that Perf is talking about is an undocumented capability to control....other stuff. The hardware is in the unit, but as yet, no software.

RevsTo9K said:

Ok, here's another thought that no one has thought of yet. If this is true about the J&S being able to basically put our ECU in open loop about 95% of the time, in theory, the Apexi S-AFC should now work for modifying our fuel maps. Am I right on this, I think I am? The only reason it didn't work before is because our ECU likes to stay in closed loop.

If this is so, then this is an alternative to a more expensive fuel controler like the split-second, Link, or the E-manage. This is what S2000 owners do. With the comptech supercharger, they use larger injectors coupled with a 12:1 vortech FMU. This makes the car run pig rich and the fuel ratios are dependent on the FMU. Well, then an Apexi S-AFC is used to pull fuel out at predetermined RPM's. This lets you precisely control your A/F ratios all over the RPM band.

Someone chime in if my logic is off.
i have never used the afc. i cant see why with a voltage clamp it cant be done on boost.
but from what i understand thru various sources it has the ability to control up to 20% like the greddy i am not sure about the unit so i will not comment any further untill i can verify my info. there are alot of misconceptions about alot of units on the market. the problems lies in the fact that there isnt many tuned proteges out there with reliable specs and wiring diagrams to help with the sales and implementation of the units.
thats why i am tuning the module i have to the protege at 3 different boost levels. then you know its plug and play.

Patrick:

Right now, the TPS modifier is enabled only by the MAP. How about adding an RPM trigger to it as well:

Like this:

Leave the TPS alone until MAP exceeds x psi, AND engine exceeds y RPM.

John at J&S said:
Patrick:

Right now, the TPS modifier is enabled only by the MAP. How about adding an RPM trigger to it as well:

Like this:

That sounds fuggin sweet! What's up on this? I think that for our application, we would need this at the lower RPM's.

Last edited:
John at J&S said:
Patrick:

Like this:

This sounds good, but it would be good to make the RPM range adjustable.

Back