It's official! New Mazda Renesis 1.6 litre Rotary!

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
From Mazda press release...(2thumbs)

I wonder what the hp/torque numbers will be?

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=26957&make_id=227

Next Generation RENESIS (Rotary Engine 16X)

In developing the next-generation RENESIS, Mazda made a thoroughgoing revision of engine dimensions including the trochoid rotor housing, adopting a longer stroke and larger displacement of 1600cc (800cc x 2) aimed to raise thermal efficiency and boost torque at all engine speeds. By employing the Hydrogen RE design policy of a direct injection system and aluminum side housing, as well as various other measures, we are further promoting the rotary engine’s merits of light weight and compact size.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen this before. I wonder what the numbers are. And with a piston engine, typically with a longer stroke the lower the red-line. I wonder how that's affected in this case.

I feel we will see 300hp and 200 torque. I Want One! I will be getting a 2008 Mazda 5 soon for the Mama and then the 16X for me later.

I feel we will see 300hp and 200 torque. I Want One! I will be getting a 2008 Mazda 5 soon for the Mama and then the 16X for me later.

Hello Old Rotor! I thought for sure the next engine size was going to be a 1.5, and I am pleasantly suprised about 1.6L. Another thing I am excited to see also on the 16X is direct injection.

Do you remember feeling the HP/torque difference when Mazda went from the 12a to the 13b?

So you don't think we should discuss it here....in the rotary section? (scratch)

Thats correct! Thanks for telling us "Mazda Dude" Rotor Heads rarely look in news, they go straight to this page. I do remember when I went from my '74 RX-4(13B) to my 79' RX-7(12A). I was so disappointed in power and torque, but the car was swaeet looking and driving. I really wanted the '84 RX-7 that had the 13B in it, GSL-SE(too much $$ for me then). Now I really am enjoying the Renesis engine in my RX-8!

Last edited:
I feel we will see 300hp and 200 torque. I Want One!

Well those figures might be pretty close! With direct injection, and 292 more cc's, I can not wait to hear Mazda's official numbers!(rei)

Especially when you consider that the possible 4 rotor racing motor would be a 3.2L, instead of a 2.6L.(crazy)

So you don't think we should discuss it here....in the rotary section? (scratch)

If you like, but there is much more info that I was just pointing out in the Auto News threads. I'm all for talking up a storm on it, but why startup a new conversation when one has started already. Also, many others do no look in these threads for Mazda news.

Well those figures might be pretty close! With direct injection, and 292 more cc's, I can not wait to hear Mazda's official numbers!(rei)

After the whole fiasco with the "official" numbers on the 8 I'll wait till I see one on a dyno.

Does anyone know what car this will be put into?

After the whole fiasco with the "official" numbers on the 8 I'll wait till I see one on a dyno.

Does anyone know what car this will be put into?

LOL! Yes, Mazda better be very careful this time with official #'s

As far as car types for the new engine, there are many possibilities.

My gut tells me that it might be a Mazdaspeed version of the RX-8, or a new platform all together.

Mazda already has a great platform with the RX-8, but sales have dropped off, and essentially the only gripe with most drivers is that it needs more power.

Installing a larger motor into the RX-8, and creating a Mazdaspeed version will make sales take off once more. This seems to be Mazda's current recipe for drumming up more sales before a model revamp. They have done this with the Speed 6, Speed 3, Speed Miata, and speed Protege.

In addition, the new Mazda Premacy RE-Hybrid has a transverse mounted Renesis engine. So with this new Rotary transaxle, the engine could find its way into some FWD cars as well.

From this, one can say that Mazda still has big plans for the rotary, and plans to take the rotary into more mainstream vehicles.

Last edited:
pic_renesis.jpg

A next-generation rotary engine with an introduction of direct injection for dramatically improved driving performance and fuel efficiency.

Performance
- Driving performance: torque boosted at all engine speeds
- Environmental performance: further improvement in fuel efficiency

Major technological appointments
- Direct injection rotary engine
- Redesigned trochoid rotor housing and increased displacement
- Light weight and compact size through the use of aluminum side housing and other measures

So is this a 16b then? Doubt it will take long til someone slaps 4 of those housings together so make the scariest thing on earth come alive...

Latest posts

Back