Is the nav system worth it?

:
Ontario, Canada
So looking at a new 2023 mazda cx 9. They are likely to try to upsell me on the nav system sd card. Is it worth the upsell and how is it different than say google maps?

Waze is far away and the best nav system out there. Google Maps is 90% as good as Waze. Everything else, everything else pales in comparison to those two.

The maps and navigation experience using the SD card is meh at best. The advantage over using the phone apps is that the Mazda nav directions come up on the heads up display (if the vehicle has it).

It's not worth it even if it's free. Nav systems are a hold over and will eventually die like TomTom and Garmin did once smartphones became prevalent. Tech moves on very quickly and even if that was 100% up to date on day one it would be out of date on day two.

I think it is worth it. Once in a while WAZE disconnects. I usually have both going during our longer trips which we take frequently. Once recently, Mazda warned of an accident back up on I-95 and alternate route that WAZE did not pick up. Also, you get the directions on your HUD rather than looking at your phone. Again, to me, the cost is worth it.

I think it is worth it and appreciate having a stand alone nav system and not having to rely on my phone and Google Maps. I believe younger drivers prefer to do everything with their phone while older drivers aren't as reliant on their mobile device.

Having the directions on the HUD is handy and Google Maps with Android Auto isn't giving you that. Likewise I prefer having a dedicated radio and Sirius head unit (heck, I wish there was a CD player too) rather than using streaming for music or other entertainment. I live in a rural part of Texas and cell service with Verizon is not guaranteed so my phone is not going to be my #1 choice but if you live in an urban area and don't travel to remote places it might not matter to you.

I know someone here is going to counter by saying you can just download maps on your phone for where you're going but I'm not interested in doing that when my car installed GPS can help me out on the fly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

My CX9 did not come with a nav card when I bought it but I purchased one on eBay anyway as a sort of back up. I primarily use Android Auto for navigation but in case I'm in an area with poor mobile reception, at least I have that to fall back on. I think it's worth having.

I also bought a card off Ebay for my daughter's new CX-5. Much cheaper and works great. She also likes having both options.

As others said, the nav has gotten me out of the “no cell service” jam a couple times. Google maps isn’t perfect but better than anything else I’ve tried.

Can someone knowledgeable clarify for me.

Do these cards update Nav systems?

Or do you purchase the card to gain Nav system function?

Thanks!

To gain the Nav system function. And I guess it could also be used as an update for an older already installed oem card that hasn't been updated. Amazon and Ebay cost has come down.....under 30-$40. Aftermarket card can not be updated thru the Mazda Toolbox software but at $30 getting a new card every couple of years or whenever Mazda does an update shouldn't be an issue. And I'm going to guess getting an aftermarket card will be cheaper than updating cost for a three year old oem card (n0 idea what cost would be).

Last edited:
I like to have a backup native Nav system available on the car, but the price Mazda charges for it is ridiculous. I have it only because it came standard on my trim level, but whenever I need navigation, I just use Google Maps. I have offline maps downloaded too, so even without cell service I can still use GMaps.

My old garmin works great and it has lifetime map updates. It even has voice activated commands. And as a bonus, it doesn't call home to "momma" with my private data!''

I did purchase a card on Amazon and installed it. Map came right up instantly on startup. I won't even try to update it. Just by another in 4 or 5 years IF it outperforms my Garmin.

Last edited:
It appears the best option is to buy aftermarket. Also appears some dealers are reducing price to $359 as indicated by link Brennor provided above. My Signature came with the Nav card which has a mfg date of 1/20. I just went thru the card update process with no issues and no cost. There appears to be an identical authentic brand new card on Ebay like mine for $25....on Amazon for $30-34. To the OP, seems like a no brainer to go aftermarket and spend 1/10th the money to have a manufacturer installed gps system in your vehicle.

Last edited:
Back