Is it possible to get the Mazda 2 exhaust to pop/crackle etc

keicar

:
None
Hi, Is it possible for the Mazda 2 to make a burble/pop noise on deceleration ?
I understand there are 2 cats (monitored one near the exhaust manifold) and an unmonitored one downstream near the resonator..
If keep the same pipe diameter, remove the 2nd cat and the resonator and have an unrestrictive muffler ..is there any chance ?
I'm also worried that since this is a "modern drive by wire" the ECU must be very conservative trims and having better control over the fuelling.. not allowing even the slightest amount of extra fuel to pass into the exhaust.
I just love the sound of the popping and crackling from the exhaust when I shift or let off the throttle, or just coast downhill .. the older non turbo Mk4 golfs, non turbo mini coopers etc sound so beautiful ..

Saw some youtube vids of guys running Mazda 2's with straight pipes but still there is hardly a burble .. (unamused)
Any one of you guys noticed it ?
I did a search for some time on this forum and didn't find anything..

Welcome to the forum!

I unbolted my axle back exhaust (muffler and ~1' of pipe) and it made some burble-y noises...nothing to write home about, but they were there. Sounded great; too loud to drive every day though.

Welcome to the forum!

I unbolted my axle back exhaust (muffler and ~1' of pipe) and it made some burble-y noises...nothing to write home about, but they were there. Sounded great; too loud to drive every day though.
Thx..
Seems like the little 1.5 has enough breath left after pushing through 2 cats and 1 resonator ..

My car does it all day from low speeds when I slowly let out the clutch. Sounds epic!!. Pictures of the custom exhaust are in my build thread

My car does it all day from low speeds when I slowly let out the clutch. Sounds epic!!. Pictures of the custom exhaust are in my build thread
Yes, that sound is truly epic ..I cant drive a car unless it will make the right sounds :)
Just saw your thread ..awesome !!
If you can , could you please post some sound clips of that brutal looking custom exhaust.. ?
As per the pics I could see the muffler now sitting where the second cat and the resonator sits .. I'm sure thats going to sound "angry"

Last edited:
I got a magnaflow muffler and if you slowly let out the clutch when its really cold OR the muffler is up to temperature it will burble, pop, and bang.

Mine will let out a single POP every so often if I short shift, like if I'm putting around in a parking lot going from first to second. I've got a custom side-exit exhaust that replaced the second cat and resonator with a big Magnaflow muffler.

You want flames and lots of audible pops? Go completely catless with a header and custom exhaust. That ought to do it. lol

Back