is engine vibration that shakes car normal on start up??

G'sMAZDA3

I bought a new mazda 3s a few months ago and i just recently noticed on start up the engine shakes the car and when i turn it off. i do not recall this happening when i first had the car. also when i rev the car when not in gear there is a slight shaking of the car. this shaking isnt severe by any means. does anyone else with a mazda 3 experienced this or is it normal?
i have heard that excessive engine vibration could be related to a cylinder problem, maybe igntion timing??

thanks for help anyone
G

2.3 on initial startup automaticly revs to 2300rpms and stays there for warmup....this is that vibration and Diesel engine sound you get for the first 6-8 mins before the cats and engine warms up...after that it should have it's normal "hollow" sound.

2000 RPM wiggle

I have found that when you are in neutral and rev the engine to 2000 RPM, the engine hits some sort of harmonic frequency and starts wiggling a wee bit. you can feel the car shaking ever-so slightly at about 6 hz. I figured that since I cannot feel it when the car is actually under gear, it was just a strangness and something fun to show to others.

My old car starting shaking like a b**** at start up. I opened the hood and the engine was vibrating itself like crazy. I thought it was going to rock itself off the mounts. Anyway, it was cus the fuel pump was going. If it is not severe, it's probably nothing, with pistons rapidly firing up and down there will be some vibration.

osudewd said:
My old car starting shaking like a b**** at start up. I opened the hood and the engine was vibrating itself like crazy. I thought it was going to rock itself off the mounts. Anyway, it was cus the fuel pump was going. If it is not severe, it's probably nothing, with pistons rapidly firing up and down there will be some vibration.

Which is one of the reasons I want an RX-8. :D

G'sMAZDA3 said:
I bought a new mazda 3s a few months ago and i just recently noticed on start up the engine shakes the car and when i turn it off. i do not recall this happening when i first had the car. also when i rev the car when not in gear there is a slight shaking of the car. this shaking isnt severe by any means. does anyone else with a mazda 3 experienced this or is it normal?
i have heard that excessive engine vibration could be related to a cylinder problem, maybe igntion timing??

thanks for help anyone
G

same thing happened to me and it turns out they had to replace the fuel pump, bring your car to the dealer and tell them to check the fuel pump, if it's defective they will replce it free of charge

Engine won't turn over after filling gas tank

Hi,

first post here, glad to be part of the Mazda team.

I just got my Mazda3 GT Sport 2 months ago (birthday present to myself :) ), coming form a 2000 Accord Coupe.

I'm so loving the car, it's amazingly fun to drive.

I know it's a first year model and so I'm expecting a few problems here and there. I'm cool with that.

So far I have 2 major problems that don't seem right to me.

First is the 'check engine light'; it won't shut off. I took it to my dealer and they replaced a pump (or something, I wasn't really listening), but an hour after I left it came back on, so I'm taking it back again tomorrow.

Upon doing so I plan on telling them about a new problem. I've filled up 8 times so far, and the past 2 times I've filled up, I haven't been able to start the engine on the first try. It takes like 3 or 4 turns of the key. It sounds like an old dying Ford ;).

When it does start, not only does it do the regular shaking of the car from side to side, but the bottom of the car (right below me) shakes like I deposited 50 cents.

Any one have any ideas or suggestion, before I tell Mazda about it?

Thanks,
Bodi

goldwing2000 said:
Which is one of the reasons I want an RX-8. :D
You should see them autox
(omg)also another thing is a new ticking noice a few miles after oil change has been found by multiple 2.3 (mazda 6) owners to include me...has anyone knoticed that?

I haven't noticed anything but this is my first car less than 10 years old, so there's a lot of stuff I just don't hear anymore. :D

AZDJedi said:
Hi,

first post here, glad to be part of the Mazda team.

I just got my Mazda3 GT Sport 2 months ago (birthday present to myself :) ), coming form a 2000 Accord Coupe.

I'm so loving the car, it's amazingly fun to drive.

I know it's a first year model and so I'm expecting a few problems here and there. I'm cool with that.

So far I have 2 major problems that don't seem right to me.

First is the 'check engine light'; it won't shut off. I took it to my dealer and they replaced a pump (or something, I wasn't really listening), but an hour after I left it came back on, so I'm taking it back again tomorrow.

Upon doing so I plan on telling them about a new problem. I've filled up 8 times so far, and the past 2 times I've filled up, I haven't been able to start the engine on the first try. It takes like 3 or 4 turns of the key. It sounds like an old dying Ford ;).

When it does start, not only does it do the regular shaking of the car from side to side, but the bottom of the car (right below me) shakes like I deposited 50 cents.

Any one have any ideas or suggestion, before I tell Mazda about it?

Thanks,
Bodi
All I can say is that your fuel pump definately needs to be replaced, I had the same problems, and they had to replace the fuel pump.

I've had my Mazda3 for about 6 weeks now. I have started to notice the same thing that you are talking about. Its a very slight shake when I'm at idle. Its good to know that I'm not the only one. I just thought I was paranoid about the new car.

My old car was a '93 Civic...so I just assume the 3's larger engine is to blame. I'm just not used to the rumble. :)

I think it's got soft engine mounts...there seems to be a lot of 'play' that allows engine movement. I don't think its anything to worry about, but they could have mounted it a little tighter...

Sounds to me like the same problem that plagues the 2.0L Protegs - ridiculously soft engine mounts. My 5sp P5 hops around like a jackrabbit when tipping the throttle in in 1st or 2nd gear. It's gotten to the point that when I take off in first, it sounds like I'm a novice M/T driver - I have to slip the clutch like crazy to keep the car from jerking. :(
I need some urethane motor mounts... maybe you guys do too? ;)

Engine Shaking

Folks, first time poster, long time Protege owner. I actually have a 2001 Protege ES sedan, but my issue is along the same lines as the guys posting here.

During a recent oil change, I had a good look at my engine while was running and being reved. First time in a while.

I noticed that the engine gives a decent shake on startup and twitches every time the throttle is opened. Amplitude of vibration is maybe 1/2 to 1" I had never noticed this before, but it's actually possible that I had just never looked at my engine during reving either. I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer.

I have phoned my mostly trusted mechanic and they are advising me to bring it in for a look.

I was going to do this until I noticed someone mentioned in this thread that protege engine mounts are really soft.

Questions

1 - is shaking and twitching on startup normal with Proteges? With mine, the shaking is not bad enough that I even feel it while sitting in the driver seat whether, starting driving or idling. In fact, if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have any reason for concern.

2 - Are there any parts I can check easily myself for tightness/integrity?

Just trying to avoid spending a bundle on new mounts if I don't really need them. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

thanks for help anyone
G

My car is doing this as well now, turning on and off it shakes. I haven't really said anything about it yet to the dealer.

thanks for help anyone
G

I too started having this problem at about 4000 miles and despite the dealer installing new motor mounts, continue to feel the engine shake esp at start up. I also think I can feel it while driving sometimes or is the Mazda3 known for a choppy ride that can be felt through the floor board and seats?. This is totally ruining my "zoom zoom" experience and is definitely making me second guess my Mazda3 purchase.

Back