Interior

tprouty

:
2001 MP3 LASER BLUE MICA
I am plaining on customizing my interior this weekend and would like some suggestions from others. :)
I am looking to paint the interior or add a brushed aluminum dash kit from on-line.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

how much of the interior are you going to paint? ive seen many people just do the small pieces that come out like the guage cluster bezel, radio surround, door controls and cup holder. but i think everything looks good in stock form. just dont paint it some bright ass color and you should be fine.lol

remember, no rice allowed.lol

Subtlety is your friend here. Personally, I would not go with the polished Al/chrome gauge trim - I went that way once before and it just kind of looks funny - not to mention its hard as hell to get it to stay completely flat. I would sgguest gauge rings if you want to do something like that. As for painting interior pieces just take your time and prep everything properly. I'm in the process of painting all the gold/silver trim pieces black and I have sanded, primed, painted and clear-coated each piece I've finished numerous times. I went with satin black paint with a matte clear-coat because I wanted something that looked stock w/o the ugly gold/silver color and I have to say everything is turning out great. But for color I would definitely stay in between the black-grey-silver area, but that's just my opinion...

I am only doing this because the previous owner had it looking all bad. did not keep it clean, It has scratches all over it and I can see the ugly redish under color on some parts. but yea I was planing on those parts. and just doing like a white or the color of the car. blue. but I was leaning more to white be cause I am putting in white racing seats.

I personally hate painted interior...our stock dash is nice enough.....
Hate those cars with blue, red, white yellow interior....kill my eyes.

my 2 cents.

SKY said:
I personally hate painted interior...our stock dash is nice enough.....
Hate those cars with blue, red, white yellow interior....kill my eyes.

my 2 cents.
Hence why I'm painting mine black. I just don't like that silver/gold color on the trim that came with '02 and earlier models. If I had the silver like later models I wouldn't change anything.

Post some pics of your current interior so we can see what mods the previous owner did that need to be fixed.

Last edited:
Its all stock now.... but he just didnt take care of it. there are scratches all over the middle section and i can see the under paint. and up by the radio same too. other than that its nice.

tprouty said:
I am only doing this because the previous owner had it looking all bad. did not keep it clean, It has scratches all over it and I can see the ugly redish under color on some parts. but yea I was planing on those parts. and just doing like a white or the color of the car. blue. but I was leaning more to white be cause I am putting in white racing seats.

Same here. The previous owner had the headunit stolen, so the center dash is all scratched up, and so is the cupholder area. I was thinking of either painting or replacing the pieces with new ones.

magnum, can u post a pick of what you are painting. I am interested in how that would look? I personally like the stock color for the dash, but black could be good. Does the clear coat make the pieces "shiny", cause I would prefer more of a flat color.

MP3Performance said:
Same here. The previous owner had the headunit stolen, so the center dash is all scratched up, and so is the cupholder area. I was thinking of either painting or replacing the pieces with new ones.

magnum, can u post a pick of what you are painting. I am interested in how that would look? I personally like the stock color for the dash, but black could be good. Does the clear coat make the pieces "shiny", cause I would prefer more of a flat color.
Sure no problem... I will probably make a thread once I am completely finished but I ran out of paint and am in the process of trying to find more clear coat so the project is on hold for now. Anyway, I am painting all the interior parts that have that weird gold/silver color trim (door handles, shift surround, radio surround and front door trim) black. I used/am using a satin black paint (more like semi-gloss) and I matte clear-coat. From what I can best explain, matte is about halfway between semi-gloss and flat (so it goes from least-shiny to most: flat, matte, semi-gloss, gloss). It has a little shine to it but no more than the stock parts so so far everything looks great. I also used a filler primer and roughed it up a bit to create a little but of a textured look to it. But yeah, once I find some more clear-coat I can get this back up and running...

If it's too glossy you can always sand it down with a fine sandpaper. But I second everyone on this thread who told you not to paint it a bright colour (including white). I also like the stock look.

I like the stock look aswell... But its just all ruined :( I guess I can look into buying new parts for it. And Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

you can repaint it a color that kind of matches the stock one, like a silver or something.

On my way home from work yesterday... I was just keept on looking all these parts and was thinking of going with black... magnumP5 do you have any pics of hows yours is coming out?

tprouty said:
On my way home from work yesterday... I was just keept on looking all these parts and was thinking of going with black... magnumP5 do you have any pics of hows yours is coming out?
I don't have any yet - I was going to wait until I finished but I might just start taking some today. The only two pieces I haven't painted are the gauge and radio surrounds. I know the gauge surround was already black, but I have a custom piece by mryellermp5 and I will be needing to drill a hole in it for the alarm I'm putting in and I figured I might as well paint it to make it match everything else a little better. I guess I'll get a new thread up sometime.

Bear in mind that our interiors are not black but more of a charcoal so the black still does stand out a little from the rest of the interior but it is by no means as great of a contrast as the silver/gold was.

Bringing up an old thread... But I am looking to paint some parts in my interior... Nothing bright... going for Black, grey and dark/blood red... I would like to see some pictures of someones if they have em... also... I am hearing different things, sand plastics first or no? sanding will give a more smooth look and higher shine... can be bad on the dash... and then I am also being told to prime, not prime, blah... some advice qould be great...

Bringing up an old thread... But I am looking to paint some parts in my interior... Nothing bright... going for Black, grey and dark/blood red... I would like to see some pictures of someones if they have em... also... I am hearing different things, sand plastics first or no? sanding will give a more smooth look and higher shine... can be bad on the dash... and then I am also being told to prime, not prime, blah... some advice qould be great...
Sand, prime, sand, paint, clear. You don't want to half-ass this. Some people even said after painting and clearing. I'm painted about 90% of my interior trim satin black (I have only not done the radio surround).

Back