Intake valve cleaner recommendation

For those that did do a intake cleaning at the actual valves did you have to remove all listed here? Unfortunately don't have vehicle in front of me to look at for a few days.

14-18-page-001.jpg
14-18-page-002.jpg
14-18-page-003.jpg
14-18-page-004.jpg
14-18-page-005.jpg

For those that did do a intake cleaning at the actual valves did you have to remove all listed here? Unfortunately don't have vehicle in front of me to look at for a few days.

View attachment 307557View attachment 307558View attachment 307559View attachment 307560View attachment 307561
If you only want to clean or inspect the valves, I suppose you could leave the airbox in place and remove only the manifold and throttle body. I took it all out leaving the airbox intact. I did that to clean just about everything though (MAF sensor, throttle body, intake valves).

I guess my biggest concern is making sure valves are closed. I see some on other brands go as far as putting a screwdriver in spark plug hole to ensure TDC on each cylinder. A small amount of leak down from cleaner probably isn't a big deal but don't want to create a hydrolock or contaminant scenario either.

Guys!!!! I am very happy to report a very positive report with my intake valve/injector cleaning project. I wanted to achieve 3 goals:

1. Use of low cost and accessible products.
2. No bogging, stalling, limp mode, popping, misfires.
3. Low skill level/low risk.

Products used, price and why:
- 1 can of CRC GDI IVD® INTAKE VALVE & TURBO CLEANER ($13-$15) (To clean Intake Valve)
- 1 can of CRC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER ($8-$12) (To clean Mass Flow Sensor)
- 1 can Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner ($3-6) (To clean Injectors, gas tank, and fuel lines )
- 1 can any generic throttle body cleaner ($2-$5) (To clean throttle body)

Tools Used:
- 1 Screwdriver
- Rags/paper towels
- gloves
- 2 foot bar/stick or a person you can trust LOL
- Bluetooth OBDII scanner ($20)
- Ratchet

Time constraints:
- 2 day period
- Prepare to change oil engine oil aprox. 250-500 miles after project completion
- About 1 1/2 hour per session

Skillset:
- 100% certified knowledge of using a screwdriver even with eyes closed and 1 hand tied behind back.
- able to count to 10

Day 1:
  1. Ensure engine is warm. Idle for 5 minutes. Shut off.
  2. Access the throttle body.
    1. Using a screwdriver, loosen the clamp connecting the black rubber intake pipe from the metal throttle body
    2. Undo the 2 intake box clamps
    3. Disconnect the MAF sensor clip
    4. Move the now loosened black intake pipe/top portion of plastic intake box housing aside for clearance to intake valve
    5. remove the air filter panel
  3. Turn on Engine.
  4. Maintain 2000RPM.
    1. Person of trust to press gas pedal OR
    2. what I did was wedge stick between gas and driver seat bottom. The power seat forward button helps!
  5. Spray CRC Intake Valve cleaner into the throttle body
    1. Throttle body is like a vacuum. It will suck in your sprays!
    2. 1-second sprays only
    3. Count 10 seconds in between sprays
    4. Aprox. 15 sprays only (Only 25% of product used at this point)
  6. Rev the engine to 3000 RPM twice (not over 3500!!!)
  7. Idle for 1 minute then shut off
  8. Allow product to heat soak for 1 hour
    1. Replace panel filter
    2. Reattach rubber intake pipe unto metal throttle body
    3. Reattach MAF sensor clip
  9. Clear codes with Bluetooth scanner (engine light on mainly since MAF was disconnected)
  10. Drive in local traffic for 20 mins
    1. Empty neighborhood
    2. Slow traffic
    3. under 2500rpm
Day 2: (24 hours later)
  1. Repeat steps 1-4 from Day 1
  2. Spray into the throttle body
    1. Throttle body is like a vacuum. It will suck in your sprays!
    2. 2 second sprays
    3. Count 10 seconds in between sprays
    4. Aprox. 15 sprays (About 60% of product used at this point)
  3. Repeat steps 6-7 from Day 1
  4. Allow product to heat soak for 1 hour
  5. During wait time, Clean throttle body using Generic Throttle Body Cleaner
    1. Merely remove the 4 bolts holding it
    2. May remove entirely, I carefully cleaned while its wire cable was attached
    3. magic eraser makes quick work out of gunk
  6. During wait time Clean MAF sensor with CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner
    1. Remove 2 screws
    2. Pull out carefully and give it a good spray down
  7. Replace everything back
    1. MAF sensor
    2. Panel Filter
    3. Throttle Body
    4. Intake box cover clamped on
  8. Clear codes with Bluetooth scanner (engine light on mainly since MAF was disconnected)
  9. Drive in local traffic for 20 mins
    1. Empty neighborhood
    2. Slow traffic
    3. under 2500 RPM
  10. Neutral Revving
    1. empty parking lot or garage
    2. 3500 RPM
    3. 10 times (At this point I noticed a real difference as I entered street)
  11. Street Driving
    1. 4000 RPM
    2. 3-5 times
  12. Add PAE injector cleaner
    1. Added to you gas tank
    2. Any injector cleaner containing PAE
    3. If PAE cleaner cannot be sourced use Berryman® B-12 Chemtool
  13. Redline your car
    1. Manual mode
    2. highway or empty street
    3. 2-3 times
  14. Change you oil shortly thereafter as per CRC recommendations

Post project thoughts. OMG. WOW.

At 130k miles the CX-5 was feeling a bit sluggish. There was engine shudder since about 80k miles at around 2000 RPMs felt during acceleration and during engine braking coming to a stop. That shudder is gone. Replaced with smooth revving up and down. Idle is really smooth. Acceleration from a stand still is improved. Let my wife drive the car and she was surprised how much more responsive it was. I have used only about half of the CRC Intake cleaner. I may continue 1 more session next weekend but really at this point am really satisfied. I may also clean the spark plugs (60k miles old) by dipping it into Berryman B-12 Chemtool for an overnight soak to remove deposits. The Youtube vids of the B-12 soak cleaning the spark plugs are impressive. At his point the intake filter, MAF, throttle body, fuel injectors, intake valve have all been cleaned/treated. My intake filter is always clean. Oh and I need to change the oil soon. Last changed June 2021 with about 7k miles on it.

Edit: Ignition is instant/strong now with no delay. Not sure if it was the CRC intake cleaner or the Berryman's B-12...or both!!!

Last edited:
Guys!!!! I am very happy to report a very positive report with my intake valve/injector cleaning project. I wanted to achieve 3 goals:

1. Use of low cost and accessible products.
2. No bogging, stalling, limp mode, popping, misfires.
3. Low skill level/low risk.
Nice write-up! 👍

Products used, price and why:
- 1 can of CRC GDI IVD® INTAKE VALVE & TURBO CLEANER ($13-$15) (To clean Intake Valve)
Have you tried easier-to-use STP Intake Valve Cleaner mentioned by ColtX-5?

- 1 can Berryman® B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner ($3-6) (To clean Injectors, gas tank, and fuel lines )
How about to use more famous Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner instead?

Nice write-up! 👍

Have you tried easier-to-use STP Intake Valve Cleaner mentioned by ColtX-5?

How about to use more famous Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner instead?
I could not find the STP Intake Valve Cleaner. I found the CRC Intake Valve cleaner locally after visiting 5 stores whom all sold out. 6th store had 1 can left. I asked the clerk about it and she said the CRC cans sell out once they hit the shelves. Some context behind it: The CRC Intake valve has the highest amount of P.A.E. and was even awarded a patent. There's a Youtube clip of it (P.A.E.) in action. Upon touching carbon an immediate chemical reaction occurs involving bubbling/foaming.

Simply put if you have a GDI engine than P.A.E. is your best friend.

For Intake Valve cleaners: CRC provides the highest amount of P.A.E. Perhaps combined with some other stuff hence the patent.

For fuel injector cleaners: Redline S1 provides the highest amount of P.A.E. Its hard to find. Next would be the Gumout Regane line of products (should mention P.A.E. somewhere on bottle front or back). Then Techron. If such products are sold out in your region go with the tried and proven Berryman® B-12 Chemtool which provides similar results to the P.A.E. big boys.

CX-5um,
Nice write-up.
Would have been even nicer if you have before-after photos showing the intake valves. I have snakeCam(borescope). I wonder if it can reach the valves. Have not tried it yet.

CX-5um,
Nice write-up.
Would have been even nicer if you have before-after photos showing the intake valves. I have snakeCam(borescope). I wonder if it can reach the valves. Have not tried it yet.
No borescope but.............check the CRC in action at the 5:30 mark.....or 6:00 mark. The P.A.E. ingredient is dissolving those deposits like it stole something lol. thats just a soak. Imagine a 1 hour soak the applying heat (revving) and movement.

Last edited:
No borescope but.............check the CRC in action at the 5:30 mark.....or 6:00 mark. The P.A.E. ingredient is dissolving those deposits like it stole something lol. thats just a soak. Imagine a 1 hour soak the applying heat (revving) and movement.

Seafoam actually did a better job.

Wrapped up the intake valve/fuel injector cleaning with installing new spark plugs (Denso TT iridium's), 4 oz's of seafoam motor treatment for a minor engine flush, and changed oil with fresh 0w20 Pennzoil platinum.

Latest posts

Back