I want new wheels

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
Can you guys sugest some 17" wheels and tire combo with links and pics for me please. Yes I did say 17", I hate riding on stock 18" or anything else 18", too damn stiff.

Can you guys sugest some 17" wheels and tire combo with links and pics for me please. Yes I did say 17", I hate riding on stock 18" or anything else 18", too damn stiff.

Are u sure you want to step down to 17's? How would that look?
I would think that a stiff ride is to be expected on a sports coupe.....

The problem is not as much the stiff ride as it is the horrible road conditions we have here. This is pot hole city. Actually, there more like craters and canyons.

You want stiff, try riding on a 30 series tire. They are like rubber bands and combined with a stiff suspension I think I relocated my kidneys. Well....that was in my P5 with 18's. I actually find the RX-8 OEM size tires to be quite nice. A bit rough but not as harsh as others with the stock suspension.

But alas you mention roads. It's a trade off. We too have deplorable road conditions in my area. I just could not bring myself to put 17's on a car that's made to handle with 18's.

I'm very sure I want to go smaller. Anyone else?

P.S. I do remember having seen a factory Mazda RX-8 picture from another market of course, with stock 17's. So I do believe the RX-8 is DESIGNED and ENGINEERED to handle just as well with 17's than it would with 18's. On top of the fact that with the bombarded roads we have here, it's not like this car get's to go real fast anyways so the grip for me is not all that important. Anyways, this car doesnt really have a lot of torque so I'm convinced it would do better on a smaller diameter wheel keeping the weight closer to the hub of the wheel as well as reducing the weight.

Last edited:
I didnt know there were 16" for base model in the U.S. here 18" are standard.

If you do decide to part out the OEM 18's I would be very interested in taking them off your hands. I life out West in Calgary so shipping will not be very expensive. Send me a PM if you want to get rid of the 18s. We can work out a price.
Regards,
Anthony

the base 16"ers are hideous....

aly64867u.jpg
Old thread and probably to far for ship but.....http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=114512

(If this breaks the rule then please delete. Just trying to hook a member up.)

Alrighty then, so any sugestions guys to nice rim tire package 17" with 235 tire? racing heart or what not, anyone can link me to some wheels that will fit?

Do you happen to like the mazdaspeed protege stock wheels? If so then I would trade you for sure. Probably give you some money too depending on what tires you have. I've got 235/45/17 Eagle F1 goodyears on them, very expensive tire but pretty much top of the line in performance, longevity and traction. Montreal isnt too far from me in saint john, I might be up for a road trip haha or meet halfway or something. let me know

I love the the MSP wheels and that would be my number 1 choice of rims for my RX-8, but I am more interested in keeping my OEM set and buying a new set of wheels and tires in case I decide to go get a big brake kit like I originally wanted. Let me know if you want to sell me your rims Nick.

Last edited:
Back