I need to finally let go of my old RX-7 Turbo ][...

:
14CX5, 14-3, 20MX
I've had this car since '88, but it hasn't been run in several years (it ran fine when it did, expect the brakes went out and it needed a new set of tires before it would pass inspection). I'm finally coming to terms with the idea that I'm not going to get around to fixing it up again and I need to just let it go. (nervous)

I know they don't like to sit very long though, so I'm thinking it's probably a parts car by now. I've never gotten rid of a car before other than dealer trade-ins, so can anyone give me some advice on the best way to do that? I really don't know what they're worth, but I'd like to get something out of it if possible... Should I just do a "best offer" ad on craigslist or am I better off donating it as-is for a tax write-off and hope the auction attracts better buyers? Are there other markets for these cars?

Thanks for reading!

You know what they say - a picture's worth a thousand word. All too often I see these things priced much more than they're worth. Running, a late model (89-91) Turbo II could fetch $5000 if its in extraordinary condition. Most unabused cars I see should be in the $2000-3000 range with the higher end going to cleaner, late model cars. Non-runners are usually in the $500-$1000 range complete. I recently sold a bare chassis for $400.

Thanks, magnumP5 -- that's some great input. I'll try to wash it up and get some photos this weekend. Maybe I can shoot for $1k and see what happens from there...

Well, I went out to clean it up the other weekend, and a guy working on the neighbor's house came outside and expressed interest. I told him I was just about to list it for $1,000 and see what happened, and he told me that if it cranked, he'd take it for that. After the holiday, he came by with a new battery, and it cranked just fine, and so we finished the deal today. It just drove away on the back of a flatbed truck. Now I'm sad :'(

On the bright side, though, we did pick up a new Mazda3 s-GT at the end of last month, and so far that car has been a blast. I guess I better go update my signature...

Back