How to replace speakers?

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3
Hi, Have a CX-5 Grand Touring, 2016.5. One of the from speakers seems to be blown. Of course it's front driver side, closest to my face. Lots of static. I assume it's blown, but I'm not a speaker guy. Can any provide tips or advice for replacing the speakers? Do I just Google CX-5 speakers for appropriate replacements? Where do I go for the labor? Should I replace them in pairs? All four? Just trying to figure out where to start.
Thanks for any help!

Hi, Have a CX-5 Grand Touring, 2016.5. One of the from speakers seems to be blown. Of course it's front driver side, closest to my face. Lots of static. I assume it's blown, but I'm not a speaker guy. Can any provide tips or advice for replacing the speakers? Do I just Google CX-5 speakers for appropriate replacements? Where do I go for the labor? Should I replace them in pairs? All four? Just trying to figure out where to start.
Thanks for any help!
If you have 2016.5 CX-5 GT, you have a 9-speaker Bose sound system. Which speaker you’re referring to? Dash, door?

Driver side, front corner tucked up towards the windshield on the top. So not the facing part of dashboard.

If you have 2016.5 CX-5 GT, you have a 9-speaker Bose sound system. Which speaker you’re referring to? Dash, door?
Driver side, front corner tucked up towards the windshield on the top. So, not the facing part of dashboard.
Is it most cost effective to buy my own replacements and take them somewhere for install? What's the right way to do this? I could just go to the dealer but don't they charge top dollar? Thank you.

Driver side, front corner tucked up towards the windshield on the top. So, not the facing part of dashboard.
Is it most cost effective to buy my own replacements and take them somewhere for install? What's the right way to do this? I could just go to the dealer but don't they charge top dollar? Thank you.
Firstly you want to make sure it’s the speaker problem, not the amplifier problem. Follow this long thread to pry out the dash speaker grill、remove the driver-side Bose 3¼ (8cm) mid-range “Twiddler” and disconnect the wire and see if the static noise is gone. Then you remove passenger dash speaker and swap it in to the drive side and see if you have normal sound out of it. The best is to use a multi-meter to measure the resistance of the questionable dash speaker making sure it’s about 2Ω. If you do have normal sound now, congrats. Your expensive Bose amp is fine.

You go get a pair of good 3½" coaxial speakers such as Polk Audio DB351 3½" coaxial mentioned in that thread too many times, although you may not be able to find one now, and replace the Bose dash speakers. While choosing, make sure to get one with proper depth, not the one with too big the magnet because the driver side space is tight, and those after-market speakers are already ¼” wider than factory Bose dash speakers.

2016 CX-5 Audio upgrade thread

If unfortunately after the speaker swap right to left, you’re still getting the static on the driver side, that particular power channel from Bose amp is toast. Your best option now is to find a used Bose amp through the nation-wide network of a salvage yard such as LKQ.

Last edited:
Thanks for any help!

Hey there,

I have a thread set up with pictures and a tutorial on how to remove the speakers. They're generally all the same to be honest, all you need is a Philips screw driver (90 degree angle) and also a few plastic pry bars that you can purchase from Harbor Freight or Amazon.

Since you are referring to the left/right speakers at the very front, then you will most likely have to splice the wires and then crimp on a either a new connector or use a butt-wrap. That is only if you plan to completely replace the speakers with aftermarket ones. I haven't seen what the Bose wiring looks like but they should be very similar in terms of set up with a positive/negative wire. Your best bet is to open it up and take a look.

I recommend you to disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing anything electrical so you don't cause a short. Also, it could be that the connection may be loose/dirty so as I mentioned earlier, just inspect/unplug and replug it before spending any more money on a fix. If this simple fix doesn't work then follow what yrwei mentioned.

Also, unless you were already planning to replace the speakers, I wouldn't recommend it because it's expensive as you have a 9-speaker system. Your best bet would be to purchase the exact model for your vehicle and install a new one. The model # of your speaker should be on the back of the speaker once you unplug it from the connector.

Here's my thread:
Anyone upgrade their 2016.5 Touring (Non-bose) Audio System?

Tools (Examples):
  1. Right Angle Screwdriver Set, 8 Pc.
  2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
One of my Blose dash speakers failed and started buzzing.

Also look at this thread.
I found a usable harness adapter.

If you need a single replacement, the OEM corner speakers are about $78 each.

These are satisfying:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back