How To Get Into Performance Rallying

Sorry I missed your last snow autocross at Gingerman. Was it you who left a message on my ans. machine?

'bout time for a shameless bump anyway... (wrc)

Cheers,
Eric

Wasn't me that left a message. You didn't miss any snow. It was a completely dry track most of the day right until we started packing up. Then it snowed. (bang) We plan on doing more next year but actually during winter where there will be snow. Now back to regular rallycrossing. (thumb) -Erik

Bump for an outstandiung thread

I love this thread, and man has it given me some hope in the daunting task of getting into rally racing. I would do anything. Thought this deserved to be seen again.
Thomas
New Mexico

I agree, this thread is great!
Lurch, me and my buddy used to rallycross this 1982 Volvo 240 GLT turbo. And we did considerably well, enough to earn two second place finishes in SS2. we were even interviewed on the december 17th episode of Redline TV on the Speed Channel! Rally is definently a passion of mine and i try to get as close as i can to it as much as possible. we totally just ate up that volvo and we are now ready for something newer and more reliable. anyway there is no real point to my posting this other than to show some awesome pics of us practicing. keep in mind we were juniors in high school when we started rallycrossing so the car is pretty much completly stock however we do have a set of 4 point sparco harnesses, custom harness bar, an aray of different used rally tires and a slight weight reduction. Oh and our best mod yet.... a "Flooded" street sign bolted underneath the engine for a skid plate!

PracticeJan1st0612.jpg

rallytombstone004.jpg

rallytombstone023.jpg

Last edited:
now that I am getting out of the air force, I will finally be able to pursue my interest in rallying, as well.

Just stopped by the site...haven't been around in a while.

That is great! Volvos are so much fun. When I was 16, I got my jollies in an old 745 wagon with a couple hundred thousand miles. We'd sneak onto the horse racing track at the county fairgrounds at 2am and bounce that sucker off the rev limiter all crossed up sideways. Then blow 5 bucks at the quarter car wash before I took it home to Dad.

Good times!

glyph said:
nice! Lurch, what are you doing these days?

Trying to get budget and car in place for 2007. Not sure which series I will run...partially depends on sponsor wishes.

The Mazdaspeed3 rally car is undergoing some more changes for the new season.

Eric

but you will be driving? i saw that you were codriving for a while...

Me codriving? Nah. Haven't done that since 2001 or so. Used to do it for my pop, but I got sick. Codrivers are a different breed.

Oh, you probly saw Jeff Burmeister. He's no relation, but has the same last name. He codrives a lot. Mebbe?

Lurch said:
Oh, you probly saw Jeff Burmeister. He's no relation, but has the same last name. He codrives a lot. Mebbe?

That must be it. I saw Burmeister on the side of a car (the other side) and the announcer said "Burmeister codriving" or something like that. Funny!

Back