How to deal with welding spots on paint

Hey guys I was planing to wax my car today and noticed little black spots all over certain parts of my car. I thought it was tar, but as I scratch some with my finger nail I noticed they are little rusted metal particals. Thus welding sparks I believe. My question what should I do? I'm thinking of using some polishing stuff and an electric buffer. Any ideas ?

PS. the spots are really hard to get off.

thaikim said:
Have you tried clay-barring??

No haven't tried or heard of it.
Is that the name of the stuff (brand)? I googled it , but can't find it on froogle. You think the local auto part store should have it?

Thanks for the fast respond :)

Yea it's basically just what it sounds like.... it's a clay bar that you use to remove residue that's hard to get off. Stuff like bug guts, water spots, road tar...

geetee said:
Meguiars do a superb clay bar kit, but theres probably a cheaper alternative.

X2. You can get this for about 16 dollars at advanced auto parts. Its a 3 step cleaning. Does wonders for paint.

If you decide to go the clay bar route, make sure you remove the rusted metal particles first. Or they will become embedded into the clay and scratch your paint. It works great for bugs and tar because they don't scratch the paint.

Clay bar should be your number one option. An aggressive pad on the "electric buffer" and compound would not take it out completely. Your only option left would be to wet sand.

5PADZAM said:
If you decide to go the clay bar route, make sure you remove the rusted metal particles first. Or they will become embedded into the clay and scratch your paint. It works great for bugs and tar because they don't scratch the paint.

Clay is the way to remove these little particles. They will become embedded in the clay, but as long as you use plenty of quick detailer as lube your paint will not be damaged severely. Nothing a Porter Cable can't take out. This could be rail dust or some such contaminant, but I kind of doubt that it is actually rail dust since our cars have shipped so long ago. Do you work near some place where there might be tiny metal particles that could land on your paint and begin to degrade?

Once you clay your car, you will wonder why you never did it before. It's amazing, and sets the car up brilliantly for a nice coat of wax. Meguiar's and Mother's both make good, readily available in auto parts stores, claying kits.

The clay worked wonders indeed it took out 90% of the metal particals :). for the other 10% I will go over them again tomorrow and then apply the wax. I will probaly never get all of them but I like the results so far. I bought my car 2 months ago and just wanted to wax it this weekend for the first time when I noticed the particles. I believe the owner before me must have left it at some place where there was welding. Maybe a muffler shop or mechanics shop. Thank you guys for the awesome advice :).
PS. I bought the Mothers brand clay set, it was cheaper then the Meguiars by about 3 bucks . I also felt like a kid playing with clay all day long :)

Tasty said:
Clay is the way to remove these little particles. They will become embedded in the clay, but as long as you use plenty of quick detailer as lube your paint will not be damaged severely. Nothing a Porter Cable can't take out. This could be rail dust or some such contaminant, but I kind of doubt that it is actually rail dust since our cars have shipped so long ago. Do you work near some place where there might be tiny metal particles that could land on your paint and begin to degrade?

Once you clay your car, you will wonder why you never did it before. It's amazing, and sets the car up brilliantly for a nice coat of wax. Meguiar's and Mother's both make good, readily available in auto parts stores, claying kits.

I guess I was wrong about removing the metal particles. I figured that anything like metal embedded into the clay would scratch the paint. I'm going to have to try that when the weather get nicer. I bought a clay bar last summer but I never opened it. I don't have anything really wrong with my paint, but the finish isn't quite as shiny as it used to be. Even after a fresh wax. I have read that it is quite effective at bring back shine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you MP5Drifter.

5PADZAM said:
I guess I was wrong about removing the metal particles. I figured that anything like metal embedded into the clay would scratch the paint. I'm going to have to try that when the weather get nicer. I bought a clay bar last summer but I never opened it. I don't have anything really wrong with my paint, but the finish isn't quite as shiny as it used to be. Even after a fresh wax. I have read that it is quite effective at bring back shine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you MP5Drifter.

Well it won't really bring back shine. It "removes" embedded contaminants stuck in the paint. It basically shears them off or pulls them out. Sounds like you may need some polishing to bring some shine/gloss back into your paint. That would entail something like a Porter Cable / rotary and polish like Poorboy's SSR 2.5 or other such polish.

Thanks Tasty, after your reply to my last post I did a some research. I can see that I have been neglecting my car's finish for 3 years by just washing and occasionally waxing my car. I can't wait for nicer weather so I can get to work and make my car look like new again.

yea nicer weather ftw. ive only been washing and drying my car since its cold outside. but i did a really good coat of wax before the winter hit hard. but the second spring hits, im bustin out the entire shelf of car cleaning stuff. i might get a clay bar too, theres some spots on my hood that i cant get rid of, right in front of the washer nozzles.

Clay bar will work, it happen to me

J

MP5Drifter said:
Hey guys I was planing to wax my car today and noticed little black spots all over certain parts of my car. I thought it was tar, but as I scratch some with my finger nail I noticed they are little rusted metal particals. Thus welding sparks I believe. My question what should I do? I'm thinking of using some polishing stuff and an electric buffer. Any ideas ?

PS. the spots are really hard to get off.

Latest posts

Back