How reliable are these cars?

c7scayman

:
96 Mazda Protege DX 1.5L
I'm considering buying an MS3.

I own a 96 Mazda Protege 1.5L. I bought it 7 years ago with 121,000 miles for $1900 as my first car. It has been through a police chase (not me), it started out life as a rental car in NJ, it has been hit in the rear at 30mph by a hit and run driver in a Ford Explorer, then fixed, it was used as a pizza delivery vehicle driving 100+ miles per day in city traffic for 10-12 hours/day. It has been used in 20+ long distance trips ranging from 3-6 hours, it has been used offroad. It has been used to carry 500lbs more than the weight capacity of the car, it has been lunch tray drifted. I drive it extremely hard and redline it all the time and I love to toss it in corners.

I had no major problems yet. Just regular maintenance. Had to replace muffler for $56 which broke off when I drove through a speed bump fast. 2nd gear synchro broke a couple of years ago at 156,000 miles when I was shifting fast and hard but since then I have been going from 1st to 3rd without issues.

I want to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 and be able to thrash it daily without worrying it will break down. I want it to be as reliable and strong as my 96 Protege. I probably will not be redlining it since I read that 6000rpm+ is where the power goes flat so the best time to shift for fastest 0-60 times is 6000rpm according to Car & Driver.

Also, I take my car to the race track and even do some autox. I want this to be reliable enough for the track. On non-Mazda forums, I have heard of these cars blowing engines with minor modifications and while pulling hard in 5th gear. Is any of that true?

The only modifications I would plan are exhaust(with cats to stay legal), Intake, rims and better tires. Maybe an ECU tune. Keeping PSI at stock levels. Mostly Stock suspension. Maybe a strut brace or performance sway bar. But I don't plan on lowering the car.

FYI, I don't plan to use this offroad in any way and I don't plan to redline it. 6000-6200rpm max. But, assuming I maintain it properly, I want it to be able to handle me thrashing it in corners and handle a race track without blowing or overheating.

Last edited:
Make sure you have fuel pump internals and a safe tune. Otherwise, mines been reliable. Had it up to 130 or so...

Bought mine brand new in Sept 2008 and 95k miles later it's running just fine. It's been lightly modded and I daily drive it plus a handful of autocrosses. All I've done is basic maintenance.

Sounds like you need a Miata not a MS3!

I want a car that is equal in speed or faster than my second weekend/track car, which does 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds and reaches 156mph. And something that is easier to DD in snow and rain and could carry passengers. I wanted the reliability and practicality of my 96 Protege with the performance and speed or my second weekend/track car. That way I can sell both my cars and replace them with the MS3.

A new MX-5 goes from 0-60mph in 6.7 seconds and I think it tops out at 125mph. Thats a no no for me. I have also driven them, old and new. Although handling is great, it is not enough to offset my need for speed.

I looked into that too. $4000 for a turbo kit not including installation or tuning. And I still don't get back seats or the ability to drive in snow. I'm not into drifting or doing donuts. I am done with that phase so RWD is not required.

You will get what you're looking for with the MS3. The engine and trans are stout. People run 400 whp on stock internals safely with the PROPER TUNE AND SUPPORTING MODS. Some have gone to 500 whp on stock internals with meth. PTP tuned an MS3 to 700 whp and had the stock tranny in it for the dyno pulls. Held with no issues. Never checked back to see how it held on the road. Regardless, you're good to very high HP. If you want a quick car that will be a ton of fun with very little maintenance, I suggest Hypertech with basic bolt ons. rear motor mount (at least), Hypertech, Dashhawk (or similar), fuel pump internals (A MUST!), and an intake will give you plenty of fun. If you decided to go crazier than bolt ons and want a million other tuning capabilities, Cobb AP is the way to go. The hypertech tune makes a HUGE difference in the top RPM range and the tune is very safe. Check out their dyno graph comparisons on the website.

The biggest issue for MS3's is the turbo smoking issue. I have heavier oil (5w-30), oil catch can, PTP pill, and idle raised 200 rpm which are all safeguards against it. Even with that, you might still have the issue. Good thing is that turbos are plentiful to find used and relatively cheap. $200 will get you a good, used turbo. $500 will get you a new one.

Anything I didn't cover?

Latest posts

Back