How much do wheels turn with Steering Wheel Locked

Maroon

:
03 mazda protege 5
I jacked up the car today to diagnose some vibrations. Everything is tight except that I can turn the wheels left and right about 1/8" or so while the steering wheel is locked (both wheels move the same amount, the tie rods are tight). I don't recall how much is typical from previous inspections.

Can anyone say from their experience if they can turn their wheels some when the steering wheel is locked?

Thanks.

Do both wheels move in unison, or when you push on them are they moving independently from each other?

There is some play between the teeth in the steering wheel lock. You were most likely just moving the whole setup.

Yes, both move in unison. I also confirmed that the steering wheel moves along with so I don't think I have an issue. Should have thought to check that earlier.

I just thought I might have had a bigger steering problem. This car has vibrations that always come and go.

mine is vibrating as well. i am 100% sure i have bad tires and discount is taking care of that for me monday (long story) have your tires balanced

Most of the times vibrations are caused by wheel/tire imbalance. Mud, dirt, or ice in the wheel, a bad tire, lost weights, or a shop that just doesn't know what they're doing.

A sticking brake caliper and slightly warped rotor can cause it too as I found out yesterday.

Latest posts

Back