How can I fix my rusty muffler tip?

ohioan

:
Ms3, silver gt
IMAG0648.jpg

Wondering if there is any possible fix for this. Want to stay away from spending $500 for a new exhaust that won't give any real power gains... Any suggestions are appreciated

Good Custom muffler shop will have chrome ends (tips) they can just weld on in place of rusty tip.

See above regarding good muffler shop. They'll fix you up and it won't cost much.

I actually had my stock tip cut off three years ago and had a Magnaflow tip welded on at the same time I had my 3 inch dp/rp combo installed and connected to the stock CBE. I wanted to go smaller with the tip than stock -- down to 3.5 inches from 4 for a more stealthy look. That tip and the little bit extra to have it welded on was less than $50.

Just go to any performance muffler shop, look at the tips they have on display or in their catalog and choose what you like. They probably have something indistinguishable from your stock tip, or you can personalize.

Before:
img0449p.jpg

After:
img0450rm.jpg

That was max 20 minutes including the time it took me to set my camera up on my tripod. I could have done a better job probably on the top too.

I used: Steel Wool #0000 and Metal Polish

WillD,
I'm going to try to polish my tip like yours also. From the pics it looks almost new again.

Yeah it really works well. Obviously the more time you spend the better it will look.

Deal! (2thumbs) Turned out real nice! Kudos to getting out there in the cold and getting it done!

Ok, question now is why would it blacken right back up? I did a couple google questions and think it's too much gas in the combustion chambers. But what's a fix for this one? I have no cel or any other problems really. I do "think" I'm not getting the best gas mileage, but most people say the speed isn't known for the mpg's, so didn't think anything of it...
Makes me wonder if the car is meant to run rich to protect itself. Right? Rather have it run rich then lean and burn up the engine, no?

I have the same problem. I've also noticed that if you get on the gas hard a nice puff of black spoke will come out of the exhaust. I have no solution though.

this car does run rich, which as you correctly stated, explains the smoke on WOT and soot on the exhaust pipe. In the end, there is no real solution other than constant cleaning. I decided that i like how it matches my MGM paint making it less noticeable.

Back