Hood issuee

Ragingpotato

:
Mazda cx-5 touring awd
For a few weeks now I've noticed a serious loss of stability in the hood of my 2014 cx-5. When I close the hood it sounds like sheet metal shaking (i.e. the hood shaking). It didn't do this when I first purchased it just over a year ago and the dealer refuses to inspect as they see it not a warranty covered problem. The dealer is stating that something fell on it and caused the support/insulation to give out but the insulation under the hood is fully intact and not loose. I know it's a 2 piece hood but I can't get the dealer to look at it. I've tried to have them direct a mazda rep to look and inspect it for possible part defects. Is this something I can fix cheap on my own, or is this requiring a body shop?

Side note, when you push on the hood from the out side it flexes with almost no pressure nearly 3/4 of the hood. The rest is stable but it's due to the corners and edges.

Wow, do you have one ignorant dealer! This is a common problem with mostly 2013 (but some 2014 too) CX-5s. Here's the TSB that pertains to it. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-RU1LNnJJVEEzTTA/edit?pli=1. You can check yourself to see of the sealant spots on the underside of the hood are broken, but from your description, they almost certainly are. Try another dealer or call Mazda US customer service (number on their web site) for assistance.

Last edited:
A real shame that this dealer doesn't support the people who buy their vehicles. Definitely call the Mazda customer service and politely complain about the problem and the dealers response.

I've been to three dealers and. Finally tonight one actually looked into it. They said the support has been crushed and needs a new hood or collision repair.

This does not sound like the TSB issue.

Last edited:
This does not sound like the TSB issue, which is fairly minor and involves adding some epoxy and a different cowl. No 'crush'. Perhaps someone stood or sat on your hood?

I'm leading to believe that someone did vandalize my vehicle and now is costing me a new hood? I can't stand the ripple as it's like wind over water. I'll look deeper into fixes as I don't want to fork over a few hundred to insurance or more to a dealer.

I noticed when I'm doing about 75+ Mph on the interstate that my hood looks like it's jumping up and down from where I sit in the drivers seat. My car is a 2015, less than a month old. I see all the TSB's on the earlier years, but I would imagine that Mazda would have addressed the issue with the newer years.

I noticed when I'm doing about 75+ Mph on the interstate that my hood looks like it's jumping up and down from where I sit in the drivers seat. My car is a 2015, less than a month old. I see all the TSB's on the earlier years, but I would imagine that Mazda would have addressed the issue with the newer years.

I haven't seen this with my '15 but before taking to dealer you may want to see if unscrewing some of the rubber grommets that hood rests against addresses issue. They are threaded and will screw/unscrew like a bolt. Hopefully the increased pressure will settle down the jumping your are seeing. If not.. a dealer visit will be needed.

My wife and I just experienced this issue with our new 2016 CX-5 GT w/tech pkg. We traded in our 2013 Lexus ES 350 for this vehicle (first Mazda) and although the CX-5 is a great handling vehicle, it's body integrity issues like this (hood fluttering) that's giving me some buyers remorse. From what I've read, this issue has existed since 2013 and it's still not been corrected! That's completely unsatisfactory! I am reporting this issue to Mazda. Curious to hear their official response. Thanks.

The Answer To That Is...

If a kid tried something like that with me, the following might occur...

"Sorry Officer. It happened soo fast it startled me, causing my foot came off the brake as I inadvertently jammed the gas pedal to the floor. It's too bad the kid was thrown up against my windshield and then landed on the road ending up with injuries. If he hadn't jumped on my hood and startled me like that then maybe things would have been different."

CX5T Lover

Back