help protege5 cluster light's

Slammedslug

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
First off, i replaced my instrument cluster lights with new ones since they were kinda dull. Searched and come up that there are 2 194 lights, and 2 74 lights. Bought and installed now the outside portion of the cluster (end of the fuel gauge and end of tach) arnt lit anymore. I have a feeling the 74's arnt the right bulb as everyone says they are because when i installed it, it kinda open up the plastic and was a pain to get back into the cluster. Also the cluster also looks like orange now instead of red. I did not put the red condoms back onto the bulbs and actualy ripped all of them trying to find out the bulb size before i searched.

so what im asking is can you buy bulbs or just the condoms for the bulbs so i can have red lights again (orange looks ugly as hell and doesnt match the hvac now)(or does someone have a good set they wanna send me :D)

I also noticed on the back of the cluster that there were 2 more opens were it looks like a bulb and socket would go, but there was nothing in there they were completly open, they looked like they may have been main lights since it was a bigger opening like the 194's (my cluster light up fully and fine before all of this i just herd people replacing the cluster lights to bring back the brightness of the cluster)

Second of all i have a clunk sound in the front, ive replaced endlinks (moogs escape) and lower control arms (brand new bushings and ball joints already pressed it) tie rods are ok, ive herd talk abotu a bad strut mount bearing that could cause this? can anyone confirm this? i can not get it to clunk while sitting still its only when its moving

Last edited:
Hello. 74 is definitely the right size bulb. The bulb holder will fit in the socket if it is rotated 180 degrees, but it will not light. You should try taking out the bulb holder, rotating it 180 degrees, and re-installing it.

You can buy red led bulbs or red condoms for the bulbs. Try the websites "superbrightleds' or "autoillumination".

Back