Help please

raul_gianino

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Today I changed my front driver axle. After I finished I went to drive it and make sure it was all nice. When making turns to a certain degree there was a constant thumping. Came back home took off the wheel and everything seemed to be tight and in place. I jacked up the front two wheels off the air, turned on the car, and let it roll on 1 gear. The passenger wheel was spinning, however the driver side was barely moving and if it did move, it was on the constant struggle to slow down and stop. I was able to stop it with my hand. Something is obviously not right here. Could it be a torque distributor in the tranny ? Has anyone had this issue ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can stop either wheel by hand with the front end jacked up. These cars have an open diff, the wheel with the least resistance will always spin.

Were the wheels tight? I've been having some issues with that lately. The best method is to torque them, drive the car around the block and retorque.

What brand of axle did you install? The parts store house brands are garbage....

Last edited:
What brand of axle did you install? The parts store house brands are garbage....

the remanufactured parts store brand ones are the new one at several parts store i have never had issues with, however i know autozone does not sell new ones for these cars oriellys does not either

I got it at advance auto parts. It looks like a solid axle.

Both wheels were on the air. The one spinning completely had a wheel on, the other one had no wheel just the rotor spinning

When the steering wheel is locked left or right it starts making the knocking noise. When driving straight it makes no problem it's only on the turns

I bought two brand new (nearly 300 bucks) CV shafts from Autozone, and both of them failed within 6 months. Same symptoms, a knock at full lock. Same problem with Oreilly's axles. You more than likely have received a faulty axle.

The only ones I trust now are Cardone Select axles from Rockauto. Funny thing is they are usually cheaper than the parts stores, you just have to wait for them.

A lifetime warranty doesn't mean much to me if I have to replace them every 6 months. You'll also want to consider replacing your axle seals, since they don't take well to being disturbed. They're cheap and it might mean the difference between doing the job yet again.

Back