Help ID a leak

bigpav7

2008 4WD CX7 here. The other day I noticed a series of small, golf ball-sized stains on the concrete in my driveway where the car is usually parked. So I drove the car up on the ramps and removed the plastic shield. The oil plug/filter were bone dry. It appears as though something is leaking in the area of the tranny mount (or at least I think thats the tranny mount this is where the cutout in the plastic shield is under the car, towards the back of the engine bay). The inside of the plastic shield, right at the edge of the cutout, was also wet. The liquid appeared to either be clear or very light brown. I felt around the front diff. but it appeared dry. What can this be? Has anyone experienced a leak in this general area? Thanks in advance.

your transfer case is leaking. known issue on the awd. it is a small seep from where the 2 halves of the case join.

GEAR OIL DRIPPING FROM TRANSFER UNIT OIL SEAL - Bulletin No: 03-003/08
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2007-2008 CX-7 4WD vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER*9****188196 (Produced before Oct. 1, 2007)
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience oil leaking from the transfer unit oil seal. This may be caused by oil seal (RH
inner) damage where the oil leaks out through the dust seal (LH outer).

It took me three visits to two different stealerships over several months for someone to figure this out even though the TSB was already posted by Mazda. They kept telling me it was engine oil and kept arguing with me.

got an update here. So I got the leak fixed about 2 months ago. they had the car for a day and I picked it up at night. well, to make a long story short - I started seeing the spots in the driveway again. Took the car in and when I picked it up, the paperwork said that everything was fine and they just "cleaned the residue". well, the spots are stil there, so here I go again, taking it back for the 5 time with the same issue. Can't wait for the lease to be up.

My transfer case was leaking and I went to the dealership and they said it was the seal. They replaced it but after a week the leaking started again and I dropped the car back in the dealership. It's been more then a week there, they replaced the seal one more time but it was still leaking. The guy just called me and said that they had Mazda engineer looked at it and now they are ordering brand new transfer case and they will replace the whole thing. One more problem with this car (I'm still waiting for the disaster with the A/C compressor) and will trade it and will forget about Mazda forever (pissed).

Last edited:
Back