Help!!! I have a pain in my Drivetrain

ryanpkirby

:
'02 mazda protege 5
Hi, I just signed up for the form but I have used it for years and have found it very informative... Thanks for all the help!!!

Well I bought my MP5 new in November of 2001 and I have not had any major problems till two days ago. I was driving on the highway and heard a dreadful sound come for the tranny. I limped the car back to my place and soon noticed I didn't have reverse and it was not shifting into the other gears in the 5 speed smoothly.

Today I brought it to a trans place and got an estimate and I had a couple of questions for the forum.

Here is the estimate:
So I was told that the transmission was toast and was not rebuildable (the inside of the housing in cracked). To replace the trans and clutch It is going to be $1,550 here is how the price breaks-down:
$800 for a used junkyard transmission
$325 for a new clutch
$425 for the labor

Here is the specs on my car:
'02 mp5, with 95,000 miles (50% highway 50% city (I live in NYC)), manual trans, All stock (except for my 15" steel wheels and cheap tires) The car is my daily driver and i don't race it or anything like the.

So all that being said here are my questions:

1. Is this a good price?

2. Has anyone else's trans blow, is that normal for a trans to go at 95,000 miles (i don't drive it hard other then a rare and quick burn on the highway)?

3. Can i get the parts (new or used) cheaper anywhere? if so where?

4. He didn't say anything about the flywheel, should i replace that also?

5. is it worth it upgrade the parts, like light-weight flywheel, stage 1 clutch?

I think thats it. Sorry about this long-ass post and sorry if i asked any dumb questions. Thanks for reading and have a great day everybody!

-RPK

For the cost of that clutch you should be getting an upgraded one, You can buy at least a stage 1 exedy or something. Protegegarage sells a stock replacement clutch for $150. Labor seems about right for a dealer to do it, my info rates it at 4.6 hours, so if a shop was charging $100 an hour for labor you get the idea. Not sure on the price of the trans, I guess that's only relative to what's available.

hope you get it worked out.

Good advice given above...that transmission price seems a little high...I might call around to a few yards or check car-part.com. The transmission giving out at 95k miles is out of the ordinary, not that it means anything to you now since it's gone. The 02s had weaker shift forks, so that may have contributed, but it sounds like you had a massive failure. I would go with a Fidenza flywheel if I were you...you'll see a big difference in acceleration. protegegarage.com has good prices on them and free shipping. G/L with everything!

hey when they do that, how do they pull it? Separate the tranny and pull it up out, or lower it, or pull engine/tranny together? Also, I'd make sure they do the rear main seal of the engine, esp if you're gonna keep the car long.

I think you would be better off finding someone who is parting out their p5 and buying their tranny.

It is defiantly rare to have your tranny massivly fail at less than 100k miles...

Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this?

I think you would be better off finding someone who is parting out their p5 and buying their tranny.

It is defiantly rare to have your tranny massivly fail at less than 100k miles...

Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this?

Not changing the transmission fluid

Back