HELP! Fuel pump removal- screws RUSTED

officerfarva

Banned
:
Protege
Yeah, I am trying to get the fuel pump replaced on my 3rd gen Pro, but nearly all of the screws are completely rusted AND when I tried to turn the screw driver in each hole, they began to strip the head! UGH! The heads aren't totally shot, but I DOUBT I'll be able to get some out...

Anyone run into this problem?! Help!

Should I just cave in and spend $160 at the dealer for labor only?

I'm installing a Walbro 255lph...

thanks.

pics would be great.

just FYI- im not asking help on how to do the replacement, but help with getting the nasty old screws out!!

get a impact driver.... it should come off... and then replace those damn screws

officerfarva said:
Yeah, I am trying to get the fuel pump replaced on my 3rd gen Pro, but nearly all of the screws are completely rusted AND when I tried to turn the screw driver in each hole, they began to strip the head! UGH! The heads aren't totally shot, but I DOUBT I'll be able to get some out...

Anyone run into this problem?! Help!

Should I just cave in and spend $160 at the dealer for labor only?

I'm installing a Walbro 255lph...

thanks.

pics would be great.

just FYI- im not asking help on how to do the replacement, but help with getting the nasty old screws out!!

I never did a fuel pump on this car, but if you can manuever it, try a vice grip and grab the heads of those screws and twist!!

Bringing back from the dead. I have same issue as above, impact screwdriver does not work, and regular screw drive don't work. Anyone else had this problem? I need to fix this ASAP! I thought this was going to be easiest fuel pump ever till I tried removing screws. I got one loose but the rest want to strip out on me. And I would rather not strip them. I'm at a loss here and very sad I can't be driving my car. :(

Hey thanks for the help. I messed with it all this morning and I ended up getting them without have to drill them. I got lucky!

Oh yea. I'm not reusing those. Lol. I'm going to try and get some screws I can remove with a socket instead. Thanks again for your responses! Even though I didn't need it after, it is still useful to have here. Just glad to get a response at all!

Oh yea. I'm not reusing those. Lol. I'm going to try and get some screws I can remove with a socket instead. Thanks again for your responses! Even though I didn't need it after, it is still useful to have here. Just glad to get a response at all!

No problem, you were better off than me. I was able to remove maybe one of them without drilling.

Back