heat/ac fan speed switch

dannyxcarr

:
2003 Protege5
so i was bored the other day and decided i was going to do the window mod (done successfully, and in MUCH less time than i expected) so with the extra time i had i decided i was going to see why my heat/ac wouldn't blow on the 4 setting (1-3 work perfectly). i pulled everything apart to find out that the switch is FRIED! i've only owned the car since june, and it was like this the day i bought it. the biggest problem is, the wiring harness is melted into the back of the switch.

does anybody know where i may be able to find the switch, as well as the new harness to rewire it without having to pay dealer prices? and once i get all that figured out, i'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to either wire in an extra fuse inline somewhere to prevent this problem from happening again, or should i just put a smaller fuse in place of the factory one? (shrug)

I don't know right now, but i'm going to be looking for it later when i get home. There is a really good thread on how to fix that issue (1 and 4 work, 2 and 3 don't) and it worked ok for me for 1 day. This was last week sometime (or the week before, i don't know these days - lol). When/If I find it, i'll post it.

Worst case, you can replace the entire HVAC control unit. You can buy it used here (post in the WTB forum) or try a parts recycler or ebay. Shouldn't cost more than $40 or so.

i don't even have an issue with going to a junk yard and pulling one myself. 1,2,and 3 work just fine, 4 doesn't work at all. may as well be another 0. if i remember correctly, i don't think you can replace just that switch, i meant to say the entire unit. but just getting a hold of the unit isn't going to do me any good unless i can get the harness that plugs in to the back of it... the one on the car is melted into the current hvac unit.

also, as asked about before (if anybody has the knowledge), should i put in a separate inline fuse or put a smaller fuse than what the factory put in to prevent this from happening again? (once i get it fixed, or course)

Back