Greetings (With A Question)!

Solution! :d

Konichiwa forum people!

SO! Busy week, I'm sorry that I didn't update in a timely manner, but I didn't get around to making an attempt to "slap" the new alternator in.

I got really paranoid about installing it, because I was hoping for an easier solution (which seemed more likely).

So, I decide to check wiring one more time...

Upon a more thorough inspection of a ground that leads to the chassis, I see a single wrap-around of black duct tape that had seen better days.

...curious...

RIGHT AS RAIN! The ground was cut (somehow) and just taped back together. and barely making contact.

Take me and my happy ass to Pep Boys, buy a vanilla ground and make a little bit of aftermarket tlc so it's compatible.

Time for a brisk drive along I-95 with every possible electronic on! :D

NOT A SINGLE BATTERY LIGHT, JUMP, NONSHIFT, OR ANYTHING!

Happy as a clam that is capable of emotion.

Next up! Replacing the fuel pressure regulator solenoid...as it seems to be stuck in "roaring down the highway" mode...and giving me an fuel economy of approx. 17 MPG. D:

Next up! Replacing the fuel pressure regulator solenoid...as it seems to be stuck in "roaring down the highway" mode...and giving me an fuel economy of approx. 17 MPG. D:

It could be another cut wire or bad connection. Put 12V right to the solenoid to see if it clicks.

Did you throw a code for that ??

1250_zpslzn60uqn.jpg

Last edited:
Konichiwa forum people!

SO! Busy week, I'm sorry that I didn't update in a timely manner, but I didn't get around to making an attempt to "slap" the new alternator in.

I got really paranoid about installing it, because I was hoping for an easier solution (which seemed more likely).

So, I decide to check wiring one more time...

Upon a more thorough inspection of a ground that leads to the chassis, I see a single wrap-around of black duct tape that had seen better days.

...curious...

RIGHT AS RAIN! The ground was cut (somehow) and just taped back together. and barely making contact.

Take me and my happy ass to Pep Boys, buy a vanilla ground and make a little bit of aftermarket tlc so it's compatible.

Time for a brisk drive along I-95 with every possible electronic on! :D

NOT A SINGLE BATTERY LIGHT, JUMP, NONSHIFT, OR ANYTHING!

Happy as a clam that is capable of emotion.

Very glad to hear it. I love when something ends up being a simple and cheap fix.

Found it!

The EGR Vacuum Solenoid was replaced!

(flash) (flash) (flash) Fuel Economy has increased significantly! (flash) (flash) (flash)

Next up: The Exhaust system. A pipe has been rigged to patch some sort of leak...and I don't know whether to call it genius, or insane.

Last edited:
By the way,... if replacing your alternator is in your future,...

Apparently the best way to remove it from the engine bay is to partially (but not all the way) remove the half shaft from the transmission which gives you just enough room to drop it out the bottom...

I'm going to have to differ with this....I found it much easier to move the cruise control and one other thing off firewall out of the way and fish it up thru that area. It is a bit of a puzzle to turn the alt just right to get it thru there but it is very possible and removing axles for that just isn't something I want to mess with. But hey, to each their own. More than one way to skin a cat and have car back on road.

,... removing axles for that just isn't something I want to mess with.

You don't fully remove the axles,... You just pull the axle out of the tranny a bit. That gives enough slack to work it past the axle.

That way you don't have to remove the tranny oil, because the seal is maintained.

I've never removed my alt, and the FSM doesn't mention the fact that it's trapped in the engine bay once the bolts are off.

It was a mechanic that asked other mechanics what to do on his work computer then he posted it.

OK,... I think this is what they did,... They removed the bolts holding the joint shaft, that allowed the whole drive line to wobble (it becomes double jointed).

The joint shaft isn't removed from the tranny (at least not fully).

drive%20shaft_zpsv9fipj6l.jpg

Oh, OK, that would be more doable then. I just looked at it and said f this and went the top route. I did get to stand up tho vs. doing a lot more of it under the car.

No worries there. My RX7 isn't completely perfect either. Getting there..... But not quite yet.

I still haven't posted them D:

Edit: I'm not really a photo op guy, given, I don't have a decent camera. I've only ever taken one photo of the car myself.

Last edited:
I still haven't posted them D:

Edit: I'm not really a photo op guy, given, I don't have a decent camera. I've only ever taken one photo of the car myself.

Take all the photos you can, or you'll end up like my old man ... just talking about cars hes had, but with no real proof and kicking yourself for never taking a photo.

Take all the photos you can, or you'll end up like my old man ... just talking about cars hes had, but with no real proof and kicking yourself for never taking a photo.

M7MUSdi.jpg

Just for all of you! ...and no, that is not the original Red. :/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back