Got my Sirius Satelite hooked up today

bearymore,

I think the issue there is Mazda Canada had their "Get It In Gear Event" promotion last May where every new Mazda sold/leased was given a PNP Sirius satellite radio. I know a number of guys who either are trying out the service (not wanting to commit to getting the SAT radio option installed) The PNP portable units is a great promotion to sample the service especially since it came with a one year free subscription.

Also, in Canada, there aren't as many radio stations as you do in the US. Not as big an issue as tuning in to 88.1 on the FM band to get the SAT feed.

For anyone with Sirius Satellite Radio, I think you might find these two images helpful.

The first is just an estimated map of signal strength over the continent. The darker the shade, the stronger the signal. (and yes, I know of people in Alaska that actually do receive a signal!)
sirius_coverage_map.jpg

The second is an animated map of the Sirius satellites in action. In case you didn't know, there are 3 Sirius satellites. Only one brodcasts at a time... the one in the upper loop over Canada. This loop is a little deceiving, as in this loop, while it does procede North somewhat, moreso it actually rises up and away from the Earth. As a result Sirius goes on a high orbit and can achieve a more direct up-down signal trajectory and isn't blocked by many buildings or other obstructions. (As you can see, XM's satellites sit on a low angle geostationary orbit over the equator. Less than ideal... this is why XM relies on endless amounts of ground based antenna repeaters to supplement in cities.)
sirius_xm_orbits.gif

Last edited:
martman said:
was98strat, you ought to really try moving your antenna to the roof. I used to have my antenna sitting on my dash, and maybe 25% of the time I was getting the acquiring signal message. Since I moved the antenna, I have had no drop outs whatsoever. BTW, I live in Vancouver. Don't know if that makes a diff in reception. IMO, it shouldn't.

I would roof mount it but I have so far not found any channels that I want soo much that I want to got to the trouble of disassembling my headliner and routing the antenna properly for!

So far I really really don't see what's so great (other than you can listen to the same radio station for the entire drive from Toronto to Miami!)

was98strat said:
I would roof mount it but I have so far not found any channels that I want soo much that I want to got to the trouble of disassembling my headliner and routing the antenna properly for!

So far I really really don't see what's so great (other than you can listen to the same radio station for the entire drive from Toronto to Miami!)
Um, maybe commercials don't bug you but they drive me crazy. I also like having virtually any genre short of polka in my aresenal. Song and artist titles are a nice touch, too.

If you want good reception, install the antenna on the roof. If you're too lazy to attempt it yourself a stereo shop can do it for a few bucks. However, sounds like you're too disapproving of Sirius to invest the time or money anyways. Just sell your Sportster and enjoy FM... (ugh)

Back