Got in an accident - Looking for advice on repairs

Shub

:
Mazda Protege5
I had someone pull out in front of me which ended up doing more damage to my car than their's. They were uninsured and we settled outside insurance. Auto body shop quoted me 2.3k and wanted to replace bumper, headlight housing (its cracked, cant tell from pic) and fender (which is very slightly buckled) and repaint the fender/bump/hood.

I'd like to repair this at minimal cost, so I was thinking of replacing bumper, headlight housing and turn signal and hopefully the fender can be tweaked back into position to mount the bumper on. What are my best options? Finding a PR5 in a scrap yard and snag these, order online?

Rqnb4tP.jpg

Last edited:
Get a bumper and headlight from a Pick and Pull.

If you have a local Tech School or Vo-tech with a CRT program bring the fender in and let them work their magic. Chances are they can bring it back pretty close. Otherwise get a fender from Pick and Pull too, they're less than 20 bucks here.

Since your car is silver, there's a chance you might be able to find Rustoleum or another low cost paint that is a close match, otherwise get color matched rattle cans and paint them.

Probably all said and done for less than 300 bucks.

I had a fender shipped to me years ago that was pre-painted to match my car. They asked for my paint code and requested I send them my fuel door as a double-check in case of fading. They did a nice job.

I did not want the undamaged factory paint on the hood and door blended to match the new fender, which is what the repair shop wanted to do, of course. If the paint on the fender looked like crap in two years, I wanted to be able to rip the fender off and get it painted again without any impact done to bordering panels.

Anyway, I posted my story about that on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but I would have had to pay $200 deductible out of pocket. I settled with the guy for enough to cover the repair and then some if I do the work myself.

I see, well then good luck,

all i can say is that you are wasting you coverage, you got uninsured motorist cov for this reason.

any work that you do outside of insurance carries no warranty. when you usually pick a shop suggested by your insurance company your work on your car will be warranty for lifetime, they will deal with getting on the parts and paint matching.

Just going thru something similar except for road debris taking out my lower corner of bumper on passenger side. Managed to take out big chunk of lower corner of bumper underneath fog light and around to wheel well and ripped the bra too. Required new bumper skin and optionally going with 03.5 MSP lip and trying to custom fit some square Excursion fog light housings in lip to have HID fogs that fit into lip. Also picked up sag brackets since I had bumper off. No one else involved and no ins claim. Fixing to send bumper and lip for paint after test fitting everything. Luckily no other parts involved. Simple repairs, you can do it OP. 22v time!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

image.jpg

Back