Gargle noise coming from car

dewey5601

I've just started to hear a gargle noise coming from my car. I only notice the noise when i'm accelerating in first gear. It sounds like a 'hole in the muffler' sound but not as loud. Does anyone know what that noise is from?

Is it a rushing fluids gargle sound? And does it sound like it's coming from the rear or front?

Any mods on the car?

Do you hear it when you down shift as well? From what you've said, I would say you've got a gasket on the verge of going.

I've just started to hear a gargle noise coming from my car. I only notice the noise when i'm accelerating in first gear. It sounds like a 'hole in the muffler' sound but not as loud. Does anyone know what that noise is from?

If it is a "hole in the muffler" sound then it is probably, um, a hole in muffler, or maybe further upstream in the exhaust.

I know this is a stupid question, but do you have/could it be just the sound of your Cold Air Intake? Just trying to cover the bases...

I actually just began getting a similar sound. Was driving around last night, spent 45 minutes on the highway, as I pull off, I notice a "rumbling/gurgling" sound at about 1.5-2.5K. On the highway, doing 4K, the car sounds about the same as it's used to. It's only really the low RPMs, especially in first gear. Revving in neutral when warm it sounds fine. Only when I apply some load it sounds "rumbly."

The car seems to be running about the same.

Staring up the car in the morning, I can really hear that noise. I'll try to record it.

I hope it's just an exhaust leak (the car has 169K) or a cracked exhaust manifold. What are the things I can check for to make sure the engine is OK? Should I put go to an exhaust shop, put it up on a lift and listen for leaks?

No CELs are on and I've driven it for about 2.5 hrs of all highway since then.

I know this is a crazy thread revival, but I'm having the exact same symptoms on our 03 P5.

I can't find any leaks visual or feeling around the J-pipe joints while the engine is running. Any other ideas? I haven't taken off the exhaust manifold heat shield yet to look for cracks and I haven't tried the seafoam yet. I only hear the broken muffler type sound from the front of the car, and really only when taking off in first gear from a stop. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce the sound (as least as far as I can hear).

Back