Front Wheels Dragging

KBrian

Contributor
:
02' Protege5
Hi All,

Our P5 has been with us since Nov '15. 2002 5 speed, ABS with 124000km (75000 miles).

The only change we have made since purchase is installing 17 X 7 wheels with 205-40/17 Hancook tires (Jan 5). There is no clearance issues with the wheels or tires. Installed by dealer. The front wheels drag heavily (slows down between gear changes) and get worse if braking in reverse.

just in the last week, there is a driveline vibration that increases up to 50 mph (haven't driven it faster) Front wheels hot-radiating heat, more on passenger side than driver but both hot. I put the car up on jackstands and could not rotate the front wheels by hand. Rears spin freely. There was some evidence of dragging before the wheel/tire change, but no heat off any wheel and no vibration. Anyone experience something similar?

Yep, definitely sticking caliper or guide pin. It will be obvious which it is when you take it apart. Usually either the guide pin boots or the piston boot are torn.

So, my son and I replaced the brakes this weekend. Thanks MrGiggles and Maroon, yes, the front caliper pistons were frozen. We replaced the pads as well as the calipers with parts from Canadian Tire. $145.00 plus tax for everything, including caliper brackets. Rotors were good so we cleaned and reused them. Took a look at the front end for wear/damage and everything is good. I love the swing-up calipers that make changing pads a breeze, but based on our annual mileage average (10000km) we may never need to replace them again. Rust will likely destroy the car before the brakes wear out.

Back