Familia vs P5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I've been searching for suspension parts for the P5 and I came across a website for JDM parts. The parts are listed as compatible for the Familia S wagon BJ5W/BJ8W/BJFW. My question is, are these models similar enough to the Protege5, in terms of suspension/chassis, that the parts would be interchangeable?

The Protege5 is a familia wagon, that's what the japanese cars were called.

I know. Was just wondering if there were any major changes between the submodels that would affect interchangeability. I found some parts that were labeled compatible for only BJ5W and others for only BJ8W/BJFW

All wheel drive? Think I read something about that, was an option on one of the JDM models.. Does that mean...technically...we could swap an awd system into our P5's?? :D

awd, automatic only i believe. but with a level ten kit, that could be pretty badass in its own right.

look up level ten automatics. not a cheap route to go. they develope parts for racing autos. a shift kit and billit torque converter would be the most basic components for an upgrade trans, but they also do full rebuild kits ect. i did some goodling but horns would have to answer which models had the awd. it LOOKS like the ZM models had the option for it but i cant confirm. not sure zm trans would be compatible with fs.

From what I recall reading on these forums, the awd version had a different chassis, for the drive shaft to make it to the back of the vehicle. Not so compatible with ours unfortunately.

The AWD setup was available with a manual trans in the JDM Sport 20s only. Even with the FSZE the drivetrain loss of AWD made up for the extra power.

well they are getting to be about the right age to import.. i dunno where to shop for that kinda stuff, but id totally buy a mtx sport 20 now that we are getting closer to the 15 year mark.

Wasn't the sport 20 a sub model of the familia? Which means they would share the same chassis and transmissions should be cross compatible with other familias. Right?

Back