Exhaust rattle, how to fix?

P5_Skylar

:
02 Protege 5
I have had an after-market exhaust for a couple of months now and when i drive on bumpy roads or sometimes just out of no where it sounds like its banging against the heat sheild and i'm not sure what to do about it. I think it is becuase it has to much movability. I have the stock rubber hangers and I'm wondering if i got stiffer aftermarket ones if you think it would fix the problem. ANY ADVICE???

I know with my Racing Beat the kartboy hangers bring it up a little too high. It looks nice at the bumper but where the exhaust bends up to get over the rear suspension it's way too close to the car body and if I have more than 2 people in my car it'll rub and rattle a little.

Does anyone know any other company besides kartboy that makes good hangers, and also do you really need to use all four or do you think just two in the back by the muffler would do it?

I ran with just the other two for a little while until I bent my hangers so that my muffler wasn't so close to my bumper.

Might as well use all 4, the two on the midpipe are easy to install.

I ran with just the other two for a little while until I bent my hangers so that my muffler wasn't so close to my bumper.
lol- i must be an idiot. I too have kartboy bushings, and they are a bit to short- bringing the muffler tip a little too close to the bumper. I have never thought of bending the hanger bar- genious!
Also- P5-Skylar, i have noticed a rattle with with my aftermarket exhaust also (magnaflow) and have traked it down to the passenger rear wheel well loose and vibrating. i just tightened the screws under there and fixed it. Good luck!

You can always make little shims to stick inside your rubber hangers, then hose clamp them down so they are a little stiffer, I had to do it on my car because there are not any aftermarket hangers yet....ghetto, but works and no one sees.

zverg said:

Might as well use all 4, the two on the midpipe are easy to install.
Nah, the front two will make the car vibrate a ton. I have just the rear two and the way they're oriented also allows the exhaust to move (it swings) whereas the fronts will resist fore-aft motion.

Make sure the hangers on the pipe & on the muffler are same size. The one the shop added to my muffler was smaller diameter than one on the pipe so it was loose in the hanger hole (which is a kartboy). Used some zip strips through the hanger hole to fill in the gap so no bumping sound. Then like someone else said, use small hose clamps on the hanger posts to keep muffler centered in the cutout of the bumper. Another thing is to piddle with the pipe alignment at the joints to maximize clearance around the gas tank & where it passes the frame towards the back wheel. I had used all 4 kartboys to hang it at first but it pulls it up too snug & makes vibration worse which makes the other issues listed above more pronounced so went back to oems on the front.

what kind of exhaust did you get? i'm asking cause corksport has a note on thier in house exhausts. it says they will not honor a warranty unless you can provide proof of upgrading your motor mounts. why that is i have not idea. but it could have something to do with too much motor movement rattling up the whole exhaust and thier design causes it to be closer to places in areas it shouldn't. like i said i don't really know but it all else fails it might be worth looking into.

No, i don't have corksport. It's a replica Apex'i (i can't really afford the real deal) but it preforms jsut as good. Does anyone know how much it costs to swap out engine bushings?

I just got some urethane hangers and tried to install them, and its by far one of the hardest things i've ever tried to do. Any suggestions? I've gone through like a whole can of WD40 and I really can't get them on, the whole is just too small.

Last edited:
P5_Skylar said:
I just got some urethane hangers and tried to install them, and its by far one of the hardest things i've ever tried to do. Any suggestions? I've gone through like a whole can of WD40 and I really can't get them on, the whole is just too small.

where did you buy these?

I used lithium grease and had no real trouble getting them on. Press harder!

Also, my Racing Beat is rattling against the car just above the rear axle. Really annoying, and I really can't believe it. I guess I'll have to bend the mounts too which just seems ridiculous to me.

Are you on stock motor mounts ? I had the same problem until I got some SU Billet motor mounts. Mine would rattle bad when I went into reverse. Motor would rock like crazy. Only thing with changing motor mounts was that was the vibration bugged the s*** out of me. I tried to bend the hangers as well but it never did the trick for me....... I have now since changed the exhaust back to stock and removed the header too. But, I think it is all going back on this Spring. I kinda miss the somewhat small gains from both of them.......

Tasty said:
I used lithium grease and had no real trouble getting them on. Press harder!

Also, my Racing Beat is rattling against the car just above the rear axle. Really annoying, and I really can't believe it. I guess I'll have to bend the mounts too which just seems ridiculous to me.

Yaggie1 said:
Are you on stock motor mounts ? I had the same problem until I got some SU Billet motor mounts. Mine would rattle bad when I went into reverse. Motor would rock like crazy. Only thing with changing motor mounts was that was the vibration bugged the s*** out of me. I tried to bend the hangers as well but it never did the trick for me....... I have now since changed the exhaust back to stock and removed the header too. But, I think it is all going back on this Spring. I kinda miss the somewhat small gains from both of them.......

Yeah, the more I think about it the less I want to attempt to bend the hangers and accidentally break something making the problem 10x worse. Reverse is even more annoying for me too, and this is my only complaint with this system. I do have stock motor mounts, and after hearing about how annoying the AWR type are I don't plan on changing them out (nor do I want to do battle with the rear mount).

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Make sure the hangers on the pipe & on the muffler are same size. The one the shop added to my muffler was smaller diameter than one on the pipe so it was loose in the hanger hole (which is a kartboy). Used some zip strips through the hanger hole to fill in the gap so no bumping sound. Then like someone else said, use small hose clamps on the hanger posts to keep muffler centered in the cutout of the bumper. Another thing is to piddle with the pipe alignment at the joints to maximize clearance around the gas tank & where it passes the frame towards the back wheel. I had used all 4 kartboys to hang it at first but it pulls it up too snug & makes vibration worse which makes the other issues listed above more pronounced so went back to oems on the front.

Are we talking like the ones that are metal cuffs and when you turn the screw it tightens around the circumference of the hose? I.E. radiator hose clamps and the like?

I think I am going to try this to keep my exhaust perfectly centered and see if that helps the rattling/rubbing. My exhaust/hangers keep wanting to slide to the right in the rear. When it's centered it seems to rattle less. Perhaps the hose clamps will cure it.

Latest posts

Back