Engine removal w/out trans?

BAHKACK

:
Miatas, 02 ProtegeES, 10Flex
Looks like I blew head gasket. Thinking of JDM swap.
I've done miata 1.6 to 1.8 swap, Jag E-type resto and lots of other rwd engine pulls.
What's the procedure for a FWD engine pull?
Is it easiest to pull trans out too?
My MSP half shafts do NOT like to come out of the hubs.
This part worries me if I need to pull tranny w engine.

Typically protege axles aren't too bad but that's from my experience with cars from down south, up north is a different story. You can pull or drop the entire assembly from the top or bottom, it's a very easy swap. Although replacing a HG is FAR easier (and cheaper) than swapping the whole motor.

^ yeah, I think you're right. Going to just do the headgasket. I'll do waterpump and timing belt at same time. 108k miles so it is time.

But after seeing how cheap the FS DZ JDM motors are I have decided to do a DZ swap on my '01 ES beater which is developing crank bearing noise..

Back to the MSP, got it confirmed that the head gasket is blown. We are seeing exhaust gasses in coolant (engine pulse bubbling from radiator). Did coolant pressure test and it isn't holding. So, looks like blowing compression into a waterjacket somewhere.

I'll pull the head and have machine shop pressure test the head and do a skim. Hope they don't have to take too much off.

In any event I plan to do a .075 Cometic head gasket. Drop the C/R a bit (half a point). Maybe bump the boost to 8psi (?). Have FMIC and big rad now.

It's definitely easier to R&R as a complete assembly rather than separating the two.

And I can R&R a head gasket on an FS in about 5 hours total. Much easier to do that rather than removing and replacing the unit and swapping at the same time.

Back