Emissions Failed: Need Catalytic Converter for the FRONT???

WayneTeK

Apparently, there are 2 catalytic converters. One in the front and the main one? Took it to a shop and I got pulled a p0421 error code.

Mechanic thinks it's the cat and not the O2 sensor? I guess i'll take his word seeing how I have over 180,000miles on my car.

I'm looking on Rockauto.com cause i need a replacement but i'm a bit confused. Are there any words or notations on the cat that states it's the front?

Better yet, anybody know of any other site that has it for cheap?
close.gif
Refresh.gif
SavePlace.gif
Print.gif
envelope.gif
Related Parts

<tbody>
</tbody>
BOSAL Part # 0991723
MoreInfo2.png
Direct Fit
Front; Automatic Transmission ; Not Legal For Sale To The State of California
Manifold ; Not Legal For Sale To The State of California

<tbody>
</tbody>
getimage.php

<tbody>
</tbody>
$181.79
Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png
CATCO Part # 4349
MoreInfo2.png
Direct Fit; Not Legal For Sale Or Use In The State Of California
Rear, Auto Trans.; Federal & California Emission vehicles. (Only 1 Remaining)

<tbody>
</tbody>
getimage.php

<tbody>
</tbody>
$212.79
Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png
CATCO Part # 1023
MoreInfo2.png
Direct Fit; Not Legal For Sale Or Use In The State Of California
Front, Auto Trans.; Federal & California Emission vehicles. (Only 2 Remaining)

<tbody>
</tbody>
getimage.php

<tbody>
</tbody>
$218.79
Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png
WALKER Part # 54484 Ultra Direct Fit Converter
Rear; Fed. & Calif. Emiss. Models.; Not legal for sale or use in the state of California.

<tbody>
</tbody>
getimage.php

<tbody>
</tbody>
$230.89
Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png
WALKER Part # 16220 Ultra Direct Fit Converter
Fed. & Calif. Emiss. Models.; Not legal for sale or use in the state of California.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
CATCO Part # 1023.. or BOSAL Part # 0991723 which actually says front.. But this is the front cat or "pre-cat".. Now you know that they look like. The other is the main cat.

I love rock auto.. Use um all the time.. BUT states that dont smog test people will just gut the cat or get a header. Im in one of those states.. Maybe someone else will chime in..

jt

Search for "non fouler trick" unless you live in ca you should be able to get by with that

Yep you probably need a new front pre cat. Just went through this and it can be a pain in the a## depending where you live.
Don't replace the o2's, you can get a scan tool readout and determine if they are working or not. Most likely they are fine as the computer is pretty sensitive when it comes to o2's. So my suggestion is pull the battery cable off or reset the ecu to clear the codes change the oil, clean the egr valve etc. MIne worked fine but after cleaning it, it ran hardly any hydo carbons (HC). Thats a good thing. Cheapest option is to replace the front pre cat, you can bolt it on. They are relatively inexpensive but dont seem to last long in these cars. Cross you fingers and it should pass. You car only measures the front cat, if the back cat is gone it will still fail (but unlikely) the sniffer tail pipe test. Only replace the back cat if it fails the sniffer test. You could go the route I went but that takes time, a lot of effort and some crossed fingers when it comes to the visual inspection. Better off to just replace the cat. before the test you will have to drive the car for a while probably 10 miles to set the readiness on all flags except the evap or eva. It can take forever! but it doesnt matter as most cars will pass with one or more readiness flags not ready. helps to have a scan tool. pep boys will have one that shows readiness, buy that one and then take it back after your done.
Good luck.

a pre cat is inexpensive unless you live in california then you have to get it from mazda which runs $1,000. but non fouler trick costs 10 bucks and takes 30 min. im currently using it with a bad precat and no cel.

^Also using the non fouler trick with a gutted precat and no mil. But this may not help if there is a visual inspection.. Not sure if the main cat can handle a sniffer test all on its own.. This is all kinda a dark art it seems.

Last edited:
I do have an idea which is sick, but as "BIG BROTHER" can look in on forums I would rather not discuss it here. It involves the anti fouler and passing the visual inspection. You guys do know that the company that use to sell SIM's got fined $75k for their great work. : O

If your that worried about it just move the o2 sensor to behind the main cat which technically makes it legal. And the main cat will pass a sniffer test by its self according to a few members on here

Don't spend the money on the cat...you don't need it. If you've set up the non-fouler and reset the computer and it still doesn't work, replace the 02 sensor first. It's much cheaper and coupled with the non-fouler, should clear your code.

Ok, i'm TOAST. I moved to CA couple months ago for work. I had it registered here with CALI plates and all.

So my options are:
1) Buy a new PRE-CAT for $1000-$1400
2) Non Fouler trick? This doesn't work in CALI though?
3) I have a SCANGAUGE and i could CLEAR my CEL, right? If i can clear the code, it wont' register a CEL.

Any other options? I have 190,000+ miles on my car and i'm not sure if it's worth all this trouble.

Seeing how my MP5 has over 190,000miles, i don't think i ever replaced the O2 sensor? Perhaps if i just switched that out, would the code be cleared? Or is the P0421 error specifically the precat?

Also, final question. Sorry.

but i'm looking for some pre-cats online and they say it's illegal to ship to cali. Now, my question is, if i ordered the PRE-CAT and had it shipped to say, Nevada.. And i installed it. Problem solved, correct?

nevermind folks.. found a shop down here in So.Cal that sells those PRE-CATS for $295.00!!! Got it fixed at half the cost. woohoo!

Back