disconnecting O2 sensor

float_6969

:
2003.5 MSP Blue #2450, 1995 Nissan 240sx, 1996 Mazda Miata
First off, I should give some background. I had a SSAFC on there for a while, but it kept letting the LTFT's get out of whack. The dithering signal it was sending the ECU in boost wasn't what the ECU really wanted to see and so it was modifying the fuel trims to try and adjust them. This kept making the car run lean. To fix it, I kept having to re-set the ECU, which was annoying. So I sold it and bought a Unichip. Unfortunately, the Unichip doesn't really do any better job dealing with the closed-loop-in-boost issue either. So the idea struck me to just disconnect the O2 sensor. I don't have emissions testing here, so I don't really need it to have closed loop capability for any reason. I haven't tried it yet, but I would think with the O2 sensor removed, I could then tune the entire fuel map to do what I want. I have my 240sx tuned this way as well. It runs about 16.5:1 AFR on the highway, and about 13:1 in boost. There is no cat, and no closed loop whatsoever. On the 240sx, it has a standalone, so that was easy. I have a Unichip and the tuning license, so I should be able to correct the fuel and timing maps to do the same thing. Has anyone else done this?

Back