CX7 Oil Filters

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Has anyone found deformed oil filter cartridges when they removed them after use. I started a thread some months ago as I was concerned that people were finding twisted/deformed cartridges. I wonder if the issue has been resolved by filter manufactures. I am prepared to order some Fleet Filters (Wix) and need to know if WIX filters are having problems like Purolator was having. One filter manufacture started to add a center support to alleviate the problem but, I can't remember the name of the filter manuf. Comments? Ed Hayes

I think it was Purolator PureOne that was to add a center support section.

BTW, I recently changed the factory filter and it was slightly distorted axially along its longitudinal axis. Nothing major, but noticeable.

I installed a PureOne replacement that I will check for deformation at the next changeout.

I am! Changing oil soon....less than 1k miles. BTW, the Wix I used does NOT have the center support core.

Rick

I just changed my oil & filter. The filter canister did have the center tube to prevent filter distortion. The center tube seems to be attached to the canister cover. The OEM filter was not distorted at all. I refilled with 5.6 quarts of 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum and used my last genuine Mazda filter. I find that 5.6 quarts of oil with a new filter will provide a full dipstick level reading. Ed

Last edited:
Ed,

I too noticed that oil capacity is less than the 6qt advertised on the manual. Your observations are in line with what I've seen.

btw, 600 miles to go!

Rick

Ed,

I too noticed that oil capacity is less than the 6qt advertised on the manual. Your observations are in line with what I've seen.

btw, 600 miles to go!

Rick[/QUOTE I'm interested in what the WIX filter looks like when you remove it. Do you have a support for the filter Rick? Ed

Yes, the filter cap does have a core support, but it's diameter isn't wide enough to really support the inner part of the filter. I think that's the reason why the new Mazda filters come with their own core support.

Rick

I checked the Pureolater filter stock at Advanced Auto this afternoon and found the following. The Purolator Plus now has a center support but, the PureOne did not. So anyone using Purolator oil filter cartridges should check that the filter is the "improved" one i.e. with center support. Ed

Back