2016~2023 CX-9 Oil Drain Plug Torque Spec?

I realize that I'm not the best at searching...But did give it an honest try for at least an hour. Not a waste of time being I gleaned other info while doing so...Anyway, I have a 2020 CX-9 and would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to enlighten me with the proper torque spec for the oil drain plug while using a new crush washer. Thank you.

Every vehicle I work on has a torque spec around 25-30 ft-lbs, and I'd expect yours to be the same. I use 25 for all of them and have never had any problems with that. Just check for drips immediately, and then later with your hand for any wetness at both the filter and plug, after the vehicle has been running for a bit.

Upvote 0
edmaz hit it right on the head.

You should change your crush washer with every oil change (They're only pennies each!), and they are designed to give right in that range. You can actually feel it when it gives.

Upvote 0
Okay, thanks for your reply.
I do know that for my daughter's 2015 Acura RDX that has a crush washer on the oil drain plug is spec'd at 29 Ft/Lbs. This RDX oil plug has a hex head that fits a 17mm socket.
So the RDX does in fact spec within what you just stated.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
... they are designed to give right in that range. You can actually feel it when it gives.
Yes, that's it exactly - a slight give right before it locks in. The first time I used a crush washer a number of years ago, for one heart-stopping moment I thought that the threads had stripped out. It was a relief when I was able to subsequently get good, solid clicks from wrench.

Upvote 0
Awesome responses. I do appreciate everyone for taking the time to share. Hopefully this thread will come up in someone's future search looking for the same information. Thank you all.

Upvote 0
The drain plug gaskets can be fiber, nylon, or aluminum. (Remind me...is the oil pan steel or aluminum?) Copper gaskets may be too hard for aluminum pans...it takes too much force to compress the copper to make a seal and may strip the aluminum pan threads. Copper gets work-hardened after multiple uses. It can be annealed by heating it red then quenching it in water (just the opposite of annealing steel.)

Actually a crush washer is a washer in a cone shape or some other way that needs to be crushed...mashed flat...to tell the installer when to stop tightening. We have drain plug gaskets.

Upvote 0
PTguy, That is some interesting information regarding the reason for the different materials used to produce crush washers and what each are intended to be used with. Thanks for shedding additional light on the subject.

Upvote 0
Back