CX-70 Car and Driver Review

Once upon a time, Mazda focused on building real drivers cars. This included coupes, sports cars, sedans and even hatchbacks.

Now, they are building large 2 ton SUV's.

Dear North American Market; please stop buying unnecessarily large cars with a compromised center of gravity. We would like for Mazda to continue building real drivers cars again, such as sedans, coupes and sports cars. Thanks

Regards,

Driver of a Snorting Skyactiv 2.5 .

Something no one else is thinking about: I wonder if Mazda is just padding their numbers.
Explain.

In my mind (and substantiated by forum members who have done so), Mazda stands to lose customers who need a mid-sized SUV!

Why offer only one hybrid vehicle when you can say you have two? It probably helps their search results at least, and who knows, maybe there's a CAFE benefit with the way the formulas work. I'm speculating, of course.

Why offer only one hybrid vehicle when you can say you have two? It probably helps their search results at least, and who knows, maybe there's a CAFE benefit with the way the formulas work. I'm speculating, of course.
The CAFE benefit works much better if the same PHEV was in a smaller vehicle. Just sayin'...

During the past year, 48% of their company profit came from just the CX-60 and CX-90 due to their higher margins. Unfortunately, the bean counters have a case even though the large platform volume is much lower.

During the past year, 48% of their company profit came from just the CX-60 and CX-90 due to their higher margins. Unfortunately, the bean counters have a case even though the large platform volume is much lower.
The CX90 sold for much higher in US vs Canada last year. That price has been adjusted downward w/the intro of the CX70. How does 2 nearly identical models w/tighter margins create more profit?!!!

Last edited:
Once upon a time, Mazda focused on building real drivers cars. This included coupes, sports cars, sedans and even hatchbacks.

Now, they are building large 2 ton SUV's.

Dear North American Market; please stop buying unnecessarily large cars with a compromised center of gravity. We would like for Mazda to continue building real drivers cars again, such as sedans, coupes and sports cars. Thanks
Blame U.S. Government regulation. Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations has a carve out for "light trucks" and "off-road" vehicles. There are also dead zones on size where a manufacturer is foolish to build because the regulations will punish them. Then add the whole CO2 offset nonsense. The landscape in the U.S. would be significantly different and vehicles a lot cheaper if we wiped away all the regulation.

That makes no sense. Mazda corporate's customers are the dealers that buy the vehicles from them. They all buy for invoice price

Back