CX-5 Liftgate adjustment? Not power liftgate height

The liftgate on my CX5 sits lower on one side (see how the taillights don’t line up). Is there a way to adjust the height of the liftgate like on other harchbacks? My GTI had a rubber stopper you could twist to adjust the way it sits when closed.

IMG_4110.jpeg
IMG_4111.jpeg

Looks good to me. If you want to see some janky panel gaps, check out a Tesla (these are current pics of a vehicle that costs twice as much).

The liftgate on my CX5 sits lower on one side (see how the taillights don’t line up). Is there a way to adjust the height of the liftgate like on other harchbacks? My GTI had a rubber stopper you could twist to adjust the way it sits when closed.

View attachment 320131View attachment 320132
The right side of the liftgate is a bit lower when it’s closed. You can try to adjust the closing height by yourself but that’s a delicate job and the liftgate itself is very heavy. You should take the CX-5 back to the Mazda dealer and ask them to adjust the height under warranty ASAP as this type of warranty adjustments usually has only one year.

I've noticed on my '22 that there is a much larger gap between the right side of the lift gate and the bumper and panel above the taillight on that side than the gap on the left side. I've been creeping other CX5s and it seems to be a common issue. Although on some other CX5s it's the left side.
The right side is wide enough that I can fit most of my thumb into it, on the left side it's tighter and can't get much of my thumb in it. I bet it's a bugger to get it perfect.

Using your pic, here is where I am talking about.

Something else you may want to check out.

*Just noticed your dark badges...very nice!

1687534931388.png

I've noticed on my '22 that there is a much larger gap between the right side of the lift gate and the bumper and panel above the taillight on that side than the gap on the left side. I've been creeping other CX5s and it seems to be a common issue. Although on some other CX5s it's the left side.
The right side is wide enough that I can fit most of my thumb into it, on the left side it's tighter and can't get much of my thumb in it. I bet it's a bugger to get it perfect.

Using your pic, here is where I am talking about.

Something else you may want to check out.

*Just noticed your dark badges...very nice!

View attachment 320146

Much larger? We need actual pics of both sides to determine if it's out of spec. ;)

IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4111.jpeg

Notice how close the top two panel gaps (between upper hatch, and between taillights) are. Seriously impressive for a 30K vehicle and on par with a more expensive Lexus. Mazda uses a larger clearance on the lower hatch panel. Not a design flaw.

I still want to see those pics. I won't criticize. ;)

Last edited:
Actually, Mazda has better panel gaps than a 2018+ Lexus NX.

lexus-nx-close-up-0-465111.jpg

Base price of Lexus NX AWD in 2018 is $38,400, or over 10,000 dollars higher than equivalent AWD CX-5.

Last edited:
If you zoom in you'll see the passenger side is higher by 1.537mm
Screenshot 2023-06-25 221424.png

Sorry haha. Here is a closer look. And yeah, it's not that big a deal. But the inner tail sometimes grazes the outer tail ever so slightly when I close the hatch and theres a little scuff mark on the bottom of the outer tail light. It's kinda weird but not a real problem I guess.

Last edited:
If you want to try repositioning the outer taillight, it's easy to remove/replace. It's held in by two philips screws and a plastic guide rail on the outside.

If you want to try repositioning the outer taillight, it's easy to remove/replace. It's held in by two philips screws and a plastic guide rail on the outside.
I tried reseating the tail light (the two grey holes line up with the black ones on the light), and it's still the same haha. Oh well.

Back